Rezablad3's RS Prop HDPE helmet build

Hello Troopers, I wanted to share my RS Props HDPE helmet WIP. i haven't gotten much done yet. Just trimmed the eyes out and the ears. Ive never worked with this kind of plastic yet, so its taking me time to get there. After trying to assemble the helmet, i noticed that the ears sort of have gaps, I've been battling with it all night long to find the position of the faceplate so there wouldn't be too much gap. The pictures show what I've gotten so far. I haven't got to screw in the bottom of the ear so you'll notice big gaps. (ill post more pictures when they're screwed in). This kit is a lot of fun to work wit, although I'm afraid to mess it up. I have a few questions for you guys that i hope can help me, my main concern is the painting process on this kit. Should i primer it first like every other helmet that i paint? or should i paint straight on top of the HDPE? because i know that on the original helmets, when the paint chips, you could see the HDPE base color. and should i sand it before paint. well i post more progress pics soon, i hope you guys could point me in the right directions...thanks all... enjoy..

IMG_0336.jpg

IMG_0338.jpg

IMG_0489.jpg

IMG_0501.jpg

IMG_0503.jpg

ohh btw, i had a really dumb question i need to ask, how do you guys upload very nice looking high resolution pictures to the forum. I've been trying to do it for a while now and has not worked, i tried using photoshop to re size the image or resolution but has not worked..Let me know please, i hate having to put up links like I'm doing now. Thanks again guys......

Edited by rezablad3

Helmet is looking good man. I would prime that puppy before painting it gloss white. As for posting pics, once you have uploaded them to Photobucket, just hit the little img button (^ above ^) and copy the "direct link" image URL from Photobucket. You can post your pics into your WIP topic. Like this:

TK8455094c.jpg

Thanks Jim, i actually have a lot more to do before getting to that painting process....as for the pictures, i tried using the image button and still doesn't work. this message came out "You are not allowed to use that image extension on this community."

so I'm not sure either. Thanks again man. I'll post more progress pics soon.

Hey All, This is what I've gotten done so far with this awesome kit, tweaked here and there, pretty much ready for paint. But I'm still confused on painting, wondering if primer will help the paint stick to the plastic. I kinda of want that chipped helmet look for this lid, but still not sure on how to make that effect, more research for me to do.....anyways, here are some of the progress pics...Enjoy.

IMG_0540.jpgIMG_0523.jpgIMG_0536.jpgIMG_0544.jpg

IMG_0551.jpg

My god is that gorgeous :shok:

I know where my next kit is coming from!

Excellent work Reza :th_AnimatedBravoSmiley:

As for primer thats a tricky one, the oily nature of the plastic means you'll struggle to get much that will adhere completely. god knows I've tried !

It depends how much weathering you plan on doing though if you just want a few subtle chips here and there then it may be best to prime.

Otherwise I would just go for it with the main color.

Thank you Stuart for the kind words, I'm pretty surprised myself, since this is only the 2nd kit I've worked on, but I'm really happy with how things turned out. Thanks to all you guys WIP threads. Honestly have helped a lot. I highly suggest this kit, saying it once is not enough, RS props makes amazing kit.

I dont think ill be doing to much weathering, probably just a few little chips here and there. I guess ill try the primer first technique. Thanks again mate.. :duim:

Great gob on your helmet Reza,

Though to me It looks like you could trim the eyes a bit more.You can see the outline where the original eyes were cutout ,I would trim them back to there.

Just a suggestion but if your happy with it then leave it.

IMG_0523.jpgIMG_0544.jpg

i was battling with myself over the eyes as well. I didn't want to take out that much so that if one day i wanted to trim it more, i could still do it.

Thanks for the Input Wayne, believe it or not, I've been following your build thread really close for my this build. So i thank you for that.

Where does those small holes come from?

fschuaho52c.jpg

If i'm right that's nothing on the original helmet.

Does they come from the mould?

And by the way, it's PP not HDPE.

Edited by Turrican

Hi Stefan , belive me mate the small indentions are there on the original helmet i was lucky to see it in the flesh a few weeks ago ,and Pete (Stukatrooper) pointed this out to me when we had the the original helmet in our hands ;)

Hi Stefan , belive me mate the small indentions are there on the original helmet i was lucky to see it in the flesh a few weeks ago ,and Pete (Stukatrooper) pointed this out to me when we had the the original helmet in our hands ;)

Oh realy, well i have only pic's. Well....that's awesome.

• 2 months later...

So i finally found the time to finish this amazing helmet, all painted shiny white and awesome....... it was such a hard surface to work with hand painting it all but with a little patience and a lot of care, i think i managed to pull it off..

IMG_0883.jpgIMG_0885.jpgIMG_0895.jpg

IMG_0891.jpgIMG_0887.jpgIMG_0901.jpg

IMG_0916.jpgIMG_0914.jpgIMG_0912.jpg

IMG_0942.jpgIMG_0918.jpg

Looking really nice. The only two things I notice are the lines in the tears are a little too "sharp" IE 90 degree corners, as if they were a printed decal. Secondly, the left ear, where the black line circles the bumps. Even if the plastic on the ear is soft and the shape is loosely defined, I would not have let the paint follow the same loose form. I'd kept it square-shaped like on the right ear where the box-shape is better defined.

Just my thoughts on details that matter to few people. You should be proud and happy of your helmet no matter what I think. :)

PS, don't forget to paint the last triangles that makes the frown really taper out.

Thanks Mathias, for the lines in the tears, i used a stencil. so i guess that's why they appear like decals, perhaps i should have just freehand the whole thing. The left ear should be an easy fix, and i completely forgot about painting the last tooth, so thank you for pointing that out for me. Ill get to it soon and post more pics. btw, i will be submitting my EIB soon, so i hope you could point me in the right direction for that as well, Thanks again