Zihyer [n00b] ANH stunt build

Hi everyone. I really wanted to do a true 'build thread' in the sense of a starting point and progress pics but this is going to be a reverse flow variation. Here are some current photos showing things getting close to being done. Here is my list of things to to:

1.) vocobox paint (waiting on paint) done!

2.) Drop thighs a bit

3.) straps for forearms to biceps

4.) pad shins to keep in place/stabilize

5.) glue on belt button covers

6.) paint ab plate buttons (waiting on paint)

7.) replace 1/4" chicago screws with 1/8" on holster (see spinning pads)

8.) fix boot pop-out issue

9.) re-glue rear cover strip on calf - it's peeling from bottom up

10.) re-strap hand guards

11.) fix right drop box (it's too kicked out)

Would love to hear some feedback as this is my first build so I went into this pretty much clueless. I can say, having come this far, that i have watched the opening "shuttle boarding" scene of ANH more times than any normal person should. It's been fun and I'm not sure I could have made it this far without the detailed posts and information on this thread.

Without further adieu...

sm-tkdaryl-1.jpg

sm-tkdaryl-2.jpg

sm-tkdaryl-3.jpg

sm-tkdaryl-5.jpg

sm-tkdaryl-6.jpg

sm-tkdaryl-7.jpg

I have several build process photos on my phone that i plan to get posted up here once i can get some time to get them organized and commented, etc.

Thanks for all the help and comments are welcome and appreciated.

Daryl

Edited by DarylAllan

I don't mean to sound like a a very impolite person, but you may want to replace your helmet asap.

I'm guessing you got this armour off of ebay?

Assembly looks fine aside from some missing parts like the belt rivet covers and the very soft details and different shades of white in the plastic.

No, the armor wasn't purchased on ebay. Is that a common place to buy armor?

No offense taken on the helmet but could you be more specific as to why I have to replace it? The belt rivets are on the to-list and yes, the color variations do bug me a bit.

Thanks,

d

No, the armor wasn't purchased on ebay. Is that a common place to buy armor?

No offense taken on the helmet but could you be more specific as to why I have to replace it? The belt rivets are on the to-list and yes, the color variations do bug me a bit.

Thanks,

d

Yes, many people buy armour on ebay thinking it's a great deal and get their hearts broken when they come here and discover that it wasn't as good as they thought.

I'm suggesting that you change the helmet for the simple fact that it looks terrible. I hate to be harsh, but that's the ugly truth. Maybe if you trim out the eyes more it'll look better.

To fix the colour variations I suggest you paint your armour. It's not uncommon with armour made from HIPS to make it glossier. So it should work for you too.

Could we get a closer picture of the helmet? Just looking at it, it looks strange because for example the details are very soft and what Mathias said about the eyes - too much flash left or is it the mould, hard to tell. A closer view would be good. Thanks!

But I'm afraid, Mathias is right you're probably going to need to replace that lid.

Edited by bigironvault

Ok, good to know. I actually do have another helmet on the way. It's a two piece version that I think looks much better. I won't go through posting larger res versions of this one because it's just a temporary for now until i can get the two-piece put together and painted. I asked for specifics because although I wasn't crazy about the current one, I didn't see it as being that bad. Guess I was wrong :P

Any other input on fitting or spacing?

Edited by DarylAllan

Hey i saw your armour posted on the dsg forums, the armor looks great on you. You did a great job fitting it to your body and like what the other said the two piece helmets are way better than that three piece you got there. Send me a pm and maybe we can get together and i can help you finish up what ever you have left to do.

Hey...it's a WIP, right?! Not too bad. Aside from the helmet replacement, I would play around with the fitting a bit (like lower your biceps some). Ground up: boots are cool, adjust your ammo belt some, def fix your belt and paint the Ab buttons, better hand guards, and maybe a new TD control pad. Also, consider the size of the forearms, they look a little big.

Thanks for the input guys! Sometimes it takes another pair of eyes to see what's out of place, too big/small, etc. I really appreciate the help. Sounds good Mike - thank you for the offer to help get it finished up. I'll shoot you a pm for sure.

Good call on the forearms Jim. I was wondering about those when i was fitting them. I went with the 15mm coverstrips on them and when i was trimming the halves to get the coverstrip mounting lip thickness right, it didn't seem like i had any option. Do you just trim it down more and use thinner cover strips?

Thanks again for the input.. this is exactly what i was hoping to get.

Daryl

Thanks for the input guys! Sometimes it takes another pair of eyes to see what's out of place, too big/small, etc. I really appreciate the help. Sounds good Mike - thank you for the offer to help get it finished up. I'll shoot you a pm for sure.

Good call on the forearms Jim. I was wondering about those when i was fitting them. I went with the 15mm coverstrips on them and when i was trimming the halves to get the coverstrip mounting lip thickness right, it didn't seem like i had any option. Do you just trim it down more and use thinner cover strips?

Thanks again for the input.. this is exactly what i was hoping to get.

Daryl

No problem man, we're all here to help. The last thing you want is to end up with a "Popeye" forearm look. I would try and trim a little off the forearms first and see if your cover strips will work. :)