Berbs42's AM ESB RE-Build [*AM]

Evenin', Everybody...

Well, the time has come to set my PT Armor aside, and start saving for a TM.

The PT was bought before I knew about recasting (and the reputation that brings), and the HIPS it was formed in was so thin, that the beating I have given it over the past two years has finally taken it's toll.

In the meantime, a fellow Squad Mate, Darren Haverstock, has, quite generously, sold me his assembled AM armor, which I am now methodically disassembling (keeping a few of the interior elements); prying apart E-6000-joined parts, removing rivets, snaps, velcro and some padding. My goal is to take this set and shoot for Centurion. I'm certain I won't make it on the first try. But if I can hit EIB, and be on my way to Centurion, then it'll be that much easier to do so with a TM.

So I'm perusing the AM Centurion Request Threads, as well as the associated Build Threads, in the hopes of failing as little as possible.

I've got my shins pried apart. All the glue and foam has been removed. The was some crazing on the surface; had to peel off the outer finishing strip and the overlapped shins on the front (the backs were velcroed). Not sure if adding an additional strip on the interior after buttjoinging them will reinforce that.

7299516470_c96ed11083_z.jpg7299515700_4db6b4eef3_z.jpg

Removed the Shoulder Straps, and the strapping that held the Chest & Back together. Another fellow Squad Mate, Phillip Tso, had given me his (from his TD Build), so I have a fresh pair. The Chest & Back had already been modified (now I know what the "wings" were).

7299513678_e24a70b417_z.jpg

The Thighs will be next; same manner of removal as the shins.

7299514656_d568b7bbd9_z.jpg

I'm going to take my time with this.

I just need to start posting now. We lost a Brother in our Squad this past Sunday in single-vehicle accident; Chris Lewis, BH-3836.

He was in his first year with us; I'm just barely reaching two. He was passionate about trooping and about giving back to others. I didn't troop with him a lot, but when I did, he always had a smile on his face...

Need :

- TK Bucket - Looking to get an MTK kit.

- TK Boots - size 11 I'm guessing, though I don't know how they run (I'm definitely a Wide).

- Gloves -

- ESB Hand Plates -

- ESB E-11 -

- More...

& More to come...

- Berban

So you were the one DH was talking about. If you didn't take it it was gonna be mine. :) Glad it went to a nice home. I managed to get on the list for some ATA armor so if you have any "extra parts" I would appreciate them. I still need

Boots 10,

Gloves normal. Just trying to get this acceptable and approved before I go for EIB or anything

Holster for ANH Droopy

and the webbing system inside

Good luck on your quest, hope ya make it :jc_doublethumbup:

Looks like you have the project lined out.

Thanks, Noah! It should be much smoother than my first Build!! :D

So you were the one DH was talking about. If you didn't take it it was gonna be mine. :) Glad it went to a nice home. I managed to get on the list for some ATA armor so if you have any "extra parts" I would appreciate them. I still need

Boots 10,

Gloves normal. Just trying to get this acceptable and approved before I go for EIB or anything

Holster for ANH Droopy

and the webbing system inside

Good luck on your quest, hope ya make it :jc_doublethumbup:

Much appreciated, Mike!! If there is anything extra I'll let ya know!!

- Berban

• 2 weeks later...

Well, as I said, it's gonna take awhile!! Finally had my second day.

We started with the Thighs and then worked on the Forearms and Biceps.

And essentially, all the glue has been removed. The "fresh" pair of Shoulder Straps is in the pics below. Today was a bit short, since I had leave early to celebrate some family birthdays and Father's Day a week early.

Next week, my wife and I will be on vacation, and the following week is the Texas Comicon, but perhaps will get back to it at the end of June.

BuildDay2c.jpg

BuildDay2b.jpg

BuildDay2a.jpg

Next Steps:

Get MTK Bucket from TrooperBay.

Take a Heat Gun to the top straps of the Chest Plate and curve them back down a bit to the way they were initially.

Begin butt joints on Shins, Thighs, Forearms and Biceps.

Start sourcing out the supplies found in this thread:

arduino: a cheap board for E11 blaster effects [WiP]

..in order to update my current arduino E11 that was made by a friend back in 2010. It has a Marquee-Style Blast effect the propagates through the barrel on both sides. There's also a Blast Sound Effect but I don't utilize it since unfortunately at the time of the build the capability to play both the sound and the lights in unison was non-existent. But after seeing Manuel's build, I'm excited about the prospect of an update!!

BuildDay2d.jpg

That's all for now!!

:D

- Berban

• 1 year later...

Been awhile!!

I got the MTK Bucket, but I rushed a bit in order to get back to trooping, and I overlapped all the pieces yet again.

After getting the kit to fit me, I knew I'd slowly have to start replacing parts. I trooped in it a few times. Below is the 25th Anniversary screening of ROTJ LFL at one of the Alamo Drafthouse locations in Austin (I'm on the far Right)

:

970001_378931748895142_1704577910_n.jpg

The thighs and shoulder bells were way to short.

The AM chest too Blocky, the Ab Buttons were stickers. Parts had been reused a few times.

And there were holes where rivets were incorrectly placed. No fault of anyone. It was what it was.

So, it was time to start Re-Re-Building.

Last Year I got in touch with the source and got New Thighs which are butt-joined up front along with a new Chest and Back. This past March at our Garrison's annual All-Con Gathering, I picked up New Should Bells. And last month, I finally found someone with Ab Buttons to replace the stickers:

IMG_3826.jpg

So, I've started with the Biceps and then the Forearms. Breaking them apart, again, and redoing them completely closed with butt-joints on front and back and 15mm Cover Strips:

IMG_3839.jpg

IMG_3858.jpg

IMG_3857.jpg

** Notes scribbled on the spare ABS:

Arms = 15(mm)

Legs

Front = 20

Back

Thighs = 20

Shins = 25

IMG_3860.jpg

And now I've pulled apart the Shins and am prepping the backs of the New Thighs. And for the last two weeks I've been trying to find out two things, but have been unable to find a definitive answer in the threads...

1. Can I have them with Butt-Joints and Cover Strips in the front and Clam-Shell in the back with Velcro for Centurion? Or does it have to use the Elastic and Hooks in order to pass?

And 2. Can the Thighs be Clam-Shell in the back with Velcro as well? I'm a Chubby Hubby, and I want to be able to have them open up since I'm afraid if I close them permanently, that my calves won't fit through the tapered lower opening. 

Any advice there?

Thanks, all!!

- Berbs

Edited by Berbs42

I should add that I got a New TD from TrooperMaster along with some of his ESB Handguards!!

And some Centurion Level Rivet Sets from Echo.

Once I get the suit up to par, I'll focus on replacing the Hasbro. Most likely a Pipe build of some sort.

:smiley-sw013:

- Berbs

So, a little more progress...

I added inner cover strips to the shins below:

IMG_3884.jpg

IMG_3885.jpg

IMG_3890.jpg

20mm Cover Stips added to Shins:

IMG_3889.jpg

The new thighs had 25mm strips on the front.

I spoke with Steve (gazmosis), and he advised making the fronts and backs uniform in width. So for both the shins and the thighs, I'll do 20mm for the front, 25 for the backs.

Here's the difference prior to removing the 25mm strips from the thighs:

IMG_3891.jpg

And with the new 20mm strips added to the thigh fronts:

IMG_3906.jpg

Edited by Berbs42

• 2 months later...

Yeah, I know!!

Considering it's basically DONE!!

The only thing I THINK I need to apply for EIB and Centurion is an Accurate Blaster! (And then to address whatever I have incorrect - hopefully not a whole lot of things!!) :smiley-sw013:

- Berbs

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Evening, All!!

First EIB is here!! THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU to Darren, Adrian, Sager, & Clint for pushing me to finish even after I received the award. Darren especially, as he inspired me to even go for it in the first place, and gave me tons of advice during my slow progression over the last few years.

So as I finish everything up, and work my way towards Centurion, I think I should post up a few pics:

• Another Shot of the Ab Button Plate affixed:
    16629988781_6c39d89544_z.jpg

• The new Notch 22mm x 22mm added to the Kidney plate sides:
    16445292539_398ef43d62_c.jpg

• A Closeup of the Left Shin and Knee Plate (this was originally riveted but is now filled with ABS Paste sanded, and attached with E-6000):
    16011322883_bcac474f7c_z.jpg

More to come!!

- Berbs

• Like 2