Removing ABS cement from bucket

John

Hello All,

I've gotten some cement on my bucket...(I know...I'm NOT to excited about it either...) and I was told to try and sand it with some 320 sandpaper then use the Novus to polish it out.... Well...I tried that on an inconspicuous area...and it just seems to leave very fine and noticeable scratches and "dulls" the normally shiny area that I was working on...

Any other suggestions...?

Thank you ALL for your help...as the cement issue is really bugging me.

John

You probably aren't going to get it off. It melts the surrounding abs and fuses the abs plastic and the cement together.

But when you tried to sanding you only used 320 grit. Thats considered fine for wood, but is very course for plastic. Look in the automotive section of most department stored and get a variety of auto sandpapers. Try sanding a scrap piece with 400 then 800, then 1500 and polish it with novus. You shouldn't see the scratches then. If you do use some 2000 grit sandpaper and re-polish.

Thx for asking John!!!!

Thx for answering Guys!!!

I was wondering about that my self ( sloppy forearms.....)

if you have a dremel with all the bits there should be a buffing wheel. get some plastic specific buffing soap and once you've removed the majority of the glue with sandpaper (very fine wet 'n' dry will do the job, add water and watch the miracle happen) and Novus, gently buff the area with the wheel and soap (dont press to hard as the friction can also melt the plastic).

keep repeating the process till your happy.

i took a massive chunk out of one of my early lids with the dremel chuck and i managed to make the offending area disappear. it took some time and a couple of repeat processes but it ended up looking good as new.