Some ATA lid assistance please........

Decided to tinker with the helmet this week and trimmed it out. How am I doing on the eyes and teeth? Should I take more off, or is it dialed in? I've been meaning to get to Gazmosis' workshop but life keeps up that nasty habit of getting in the way! I just couldn't resist beginning it! :)

IMG_2297.jpg

Here's some close ups of the areas:

IMG_2287.jpg

IMG_2289.jpg

IMG_2288.jpg

IMG_2291.jpg

IMG_2290.jpg

IMG_2292.jpg

IMG_2293.jpg

IMG_2294.jpg

IMG_2295.jpg

Opinions would help a ton!

Just an option, Carlos, is that some troopers keep the "twinkie" shape to the teeth openings like you have or with some patience and an exacto knife, make the openings square. If you are going to take alittle more off of the openings, be selective! Several teeth seem fine to me.

The top of the faceplate can be trimmed or not. Whether you cut it off or not will not affect the build of the helmet.

Edited by gazmosis

Ahh, decisions, decisions. Well I kinda like the "Twinkie" thing but I do see that I should take a bit more off. Thanks for the advice, I'll be updating after I get a chance to work on it a bit more.

Onward and upward!

There is a thread about eyes and frowns reference pics you can search and get some awesome ideas of how much they trimmed them. My ATA build I left a lot of the eyes and my 2nd build I cut them down and like them a lot better. If you look really close on the ata kit you can somewhat see where the mold lines are for trimming them down. Also check Troopermaster helmet builds for some ideas of just how much they can be trimmed out.

It comes down to preference though. My opinion is just a suggestion so take it with a grain of salt.

You can always trim more later if you want to. So leave them like they are and see how you like it. If you want to trim them down more you can later. When I started I liked the idea of what a Stormtrooper helmet and suit "should" look and didnt care about what was 100% accurate. After a few months here your tastes will change and you get obsessed with how accurate you can get your build. So make what you want and trim down later if the bug bites you. Either way your build looks really good so far!

Bottom line is enjoy every step of the way, you only get to build your first one once :)

Isaac

EDIT: looks like its not your first build, nevermind. Well the idea is the same. Have fun man. I love the frown like you have it!

Edited by theisaac

Hey Issac!

Thanks for the advice! This is actually my first build but I've been researching since late October '11 so I have some direction, although actually working with the plastic has proven to be a bit more challenging than it looks! Thank god I have some model building experience and own most of the needed tools and supplies!

I have been using as many reference pics as possible including the frown thread but as I was cutting I think I've been a bit more on the careful side and definitely need to go a bit further. I'm just so paranoid I'll cut too much away and have to contact ATA for replacement parts! (I've already contacted ATA should that possibility arise!)

I agree with you about the relative accuracy part! The more I work on it the more accurate I want to make it! I'm really praying I can get it to EIB and Centurion in one shot, then I'm going to apply for my 501st membership. I don't want it to be completely accurate, I'd like a bit of "idealized" elements as well. Wish me luck!

Jesse and Gaz!

I am definitely going to go back and trim a bit more. I like the bigger eye look and everything I've seen so far has wider openings in the teeth, so I'm going to go with that!

Thanks all for the help!