Joining the Darkside: AP Armour ordered!

• 1 month later...

It's been a while, but plenty to update.

I have asked Mark at AP change my order from Ready to Wear to Fully trimmed kit and I will be assembling myself (with much local help as I can get).

Since the last update I have finished my Hasbro mod (still a tab bit of weathering to finish up). http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=19917

I have acquired:

My boots from TKBoots are still on backorder. I need to start sourcing my strapping and snaps soon as well.

Updates will become much more regular once the kit arrives and I begin building.

stay tuned.

Paint question for folks, about how much Humbrol Admiral Gray #5 paint will I need to get the teeth, ears, buttons and TD canister covered (I'm not hand painting the tears and traps on the first pass of my build). I want to be sure I get enough the first time and not be caught with anything half way done.

thx

Rivets are on my list of what to get next. Still researching but I know Trooperbay (http://trooperbay.com/accurate-nickle-split-rivets-and-washers/) has some in their supply listing.

Also I have seen some folks using paper fasteners similar to these on Trooperbay (http://trooperbay.com/2-inch-fasteners-and-washers/) but I was going to look locally to see if I could find them first.

I also need to source the snaps, white elastic, black elastic, and black webbing for my strapping. Hoping I can do so locally.

Hey Charles, where did you get the split rivets from? Locally? Are they 8mm? I'm starting to plan for EIB/Cent.

I got mine from Trooperbay - they worked for me (pix of them installed in my build thread)

Split Rivet question:

First of all, I thought I had ordered mine from TrooperBay, but it turns out I forgot.

Soooo the question is, are the two split rivets used on the thigh ammo connection the same size as the rivets used for the ab/kidney ones? if so, I assume that means I need to source 8 split rivets.

If I go with the Brads, I can easily find a box of like 100 at staples for like $3. I am sure that would suffice for the ab/kidney, but not the thigh ammo connection.

thoughts?

Split Rivet question:

Soooo the question is, are the two split rivets used on the thigh ammo connection the same size as the rivets used for the ab/kidney ones? if so, I assume that means I need to source 8 split rivets.

If I go with the Brads, I can easily find a box of like 100 at staples for like $3. I am sure that would suffice for the ab/kidney, but not the thigh ammo connection.

thoughts?

No they are different sizes

The thigh ammo rivets are smaller than the six you normally find on the Kidney/AB .

I used these to hold my thigh ammo (depending thickness ) you may nedd to purchase a long size of these;

http://www.tandyleat...ts/1371-12.aspx

As for the kidneyAb rivets, check here for a good source: http://www.whitearmo...opic=19041&st=0

The other you will need are male style snaps for the rest. Right side Ab and bottom of butt plate.

No they are different sizes

The thigh ammo rivets are smaller than the six you normally find on the Kidney/AB .

I used these to hold my thigh ammo (depending thickness ) you may nedd to purchase a long size of these;

http://www.tandyleat...ts/1371-12.aspx

As for the kidneyAb rivets, check here for a good source: http://www.whitearmo...opic=19041&st=0

The other you will need are male style snaps for the rest. Right side Ab and bottom of butt plate.

Thanks Tom,

so if I am reading the CRL correctly there are three places that Split rivets need to be located to go for Centurion Level:

1. Ab/Kidney will require 6 split rivets in the 8mm size
  2. Ammo pack will be the 7mm ones like the ones you linked to on the Tandy site or in Sean's listing he has 7mm. I assume that this is CEnturion acceptable even thtough they are not "split" as the CRL references with a "?" (allso no size provided in CRL)
  3. The Crotch tab requires a split rivet ... NO size provided in the CRL

I scored about 40 sets of heavy duty snaps from a retailer store closing, so I am fine for the Male Snaps on the Ab Plate and butt plate.

any thoughts on the right RIVET size for the Crotch Tab?

Thanks Tom,

so if I am reading the CRL correctly there are three places that Split rivets need to be located to go for Centurion Level:

1. Ab/Kidney will require 6 split rivets in the 8mm size
  2. Ammo pack will be the 7mm ones like the ones you linked to on the Tandy site or in Sean's listing he has 7mm. I assume that this is CEnturion acceptable even thtough they are not "split" as the CRL references with a "?" (allso no size provided in CRL

"Approximately" is the key

;)

We did this to give you a size to look for/try to have. We do not throw a tape measure on the rivets...so as long as you are in the ball park you are good to go.

:duim:

1. The Crotch tab requires a split rivet ... NO size provided in the CRL

any thoughts on the right RIVET size for the Crotch Tab?

I am working the updates for the CRLs (adding info).. This is one of the items I was putting into to give an

approximation of size.

From the looks of the screen used suit, the split rivet size for the crotch tab should be that same as the 6 on the kidney/ab.

:duim:

Just to be clear then for Centurion, I can use the cap style rivet for the ammo box?

:salute:

Thank you Tom, that is great feedback. I cannot find Split rivets anywhere around here, so I will be makign my order soon as my kit shoudl be arriving in July! trying to get my piece parts all ready so there is no mad scramble in the end!

cb

Just to be clear then for Centurion, I can use the cap style rivet for the ammo box?

:salute:

Correct you may use the cap style for the thigh ammo (the rivets only need to be a full cap, not the pop rivet style.)

Today I decided to do something productive (while waiting for my kit to arrive). I built a belt/thigh garter combo very similar in setup to Boomshakra's. The belt and garters are fully adjustable. Once I have the kit and the thigh position dialled in, I will likely lock in the position on the belt with a rivet (tbd).

IMG_3452.jpgIMG_3453.jpgIMG_3454.jpg