Another AM armor build[*AM]

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah...i knew he sold some...I just really didn't want to spend anymore $$ right now. Since I'm going Sandy...do you think I could get away with using FOR SALE sign (possibly 2 pieces stacked and glued together) to replicate the ABS strip? The color of white is not even close but since I'm going to be weathered and dirty, do you think it'll be noticeable?

I'm going to have to redo my thighs. Not looking forward to it but I didn't trim the fronts enough which would make my front thigh cover strips about 2 1/8" wide..it just won't look good, agreed?

Check out this picture showing what a very wide cover strip would look like using some scrap material.

51995308.jpg

The good thing about the fix is that I've only glued together one thigh so far. Better to fix one than fix both.

Although it's not part of my actual armor build...I thought I'd share how I attached the MP40 pouch to my belt. I cut off the angled belt loops, stretched them out and reattached them using a combination of rivets along with extra strength hot glue. Seems like an odd combo but it's very strong and has held on nicely. I wanted to keep things simple.

1b97da17.jpg

The hot glue reinforcing is sort of messy looking (who's going to see it) but it works

47832680.jpg

And here is the pouch w/ the belt going through the straps on the back. I like the end result

71d6c580.jpg

Ā 

Also, anyone have any tips on how to keep the belt attached to the torso? I had a few male snaps through the ab armor to help but one of them has ripped out. I'm thinking of keeping it simple and just using a few strategically placed Velcro to help hold it up. It's pretty light and the Velcro should hold it up. Any thoughts or other ideas?

Ā 

Oh yeah...decided to cut open my thighs to resize the fronts to make it look closer to the screen armor. I'm pleased. Looks much better and I was able to salvage the ABS cover strips I had already cut for the thighs.

f1feb988.jpg

Edited by silverBoyd

Good save on those thighs buddy!

Ā 

For my belt I went to lowes and they had some snaps that were male and had a screw in the middle. I glued an extra piece of ABS on the inside for support and screwed it in. Then I used a rivet to hold the female snap through the squares on the belt through the canvas. This has been holding pretty well so far. Havent got a holster yet so I dont know what its gonna do when its load bearing though.

Good save on those thighs buddy!

Ā 

For my belt I went to lowes and they had some snaps that were male and had a screw in the middle. I glued an extra piece of ABS on the inside for support and screwed it in. Then I used a rivet to hold the female snap through the squares on the belt through the canvas. This has been holding pretty well so far. Havent got a holster yet so I dont know what its gonna do when its load bearing though.

Thanks Isaac...I like the advice about the snaps being held in place by rivets. Didn't think of that.

Ā 

I'm still re-doing my thighs. These things are giving me such a fit. I'm glad I saved them for last. I got my front sized properly with the cover strip but now I'm assembling the rear thighs and I am having to add in a shim to get it to fit now that I've had to trim down the front butt joints. I think my rear thigh cover strips will be a bit wider than normal but I've been told that it'll be find since its the back. Plus...since I'm going Sandy my backpack will distract from people noticing the backs of my thighs. Here are some pics from tonight's fitting along with the shims taped in place...

57e95d5a.jpg

I had to trim off another 1/4" or so from the top of the backs because my butt was allowing it to not be pulled up high enough.

e1a04148.jpg

I think I need to shorten my suspenders to raise up my torso. I think that will help the front of the thighs from rubbing the crotch of the armor.

17c49da9.jpg

Here's a side view. I can see in this last pic that I need to somehow get rid of that logo on my undersuit that's reflecting in the light

Edited by silverBoyd

VERY nice weathering!

Im seriously thinking about doing a TD now. I weathered a helmet and LOVED it.

Thanks! I think a TD is the way to go. It just has so much more detail and depth. If you do you'll still have to get a backpack, pauldron, get rid of Ab buttons, get rid of ribbed plastic shoulder straps and change the sniper plate on the knee

Edited by silverBoyd

Hey....I'm about 3 straps away from being 100% done with my assembly. No pics of me wearing it but here are some more weathered pics as well as the wiring of the helmet fans I just spent an hour on...

f2c46b60.jpg

e436e299.jpg

2ccbfa5c.jpg

af880302.jpg

1329ca09.jpg

0babb03c.jpg

20f24db4.jpg

46c7c4e2.jpg

253b7e2d.jpg

5297daf1.jpg

edc83ec7.jpg

c23a3848.jpg

014a0792.jpg

4d4fe404.jpg

Here's a picture of my armor (roughly) laid upon the floor to check for weathering consistency....I think it's pretty good

bca64689.jpg

Edited by silverBoyd

Here are some first pics of me fully suited up in my AM armor and MTK helmet....still need a few tweaks but overall I think I'm done and satisfied with it. I still need to add my shoulder ammo pouch, attach my mortar tube / radar dish to the backpack, add some foam inside my left shin to keep it from rotating when I move and also I need to attach some sort of velcro / elastic to help keep the chest pulled down over the top of my torso armor.

01.jpg

04.jpg

03.jpg

02.jpg

Edited by silverBoyd