1st set of armor? (AM)

Hey everybody I just joined and have been doing a lot of research on the forums, looking at threads, ect.. and think that I am going to go with some AM armor, but wanted to get peoples opinions first. I am 5'9 to 5'10 weigh 245 pounds (and losing!) with a waist around 40 to 38 inches. My chest is also very large since I played college football. So I was wondering if this would be my best bet. I also like the fact that this kit is easy to trim and right out of the box set up to wear with minimal experience required (I think). Is there a site for AM kits or do they just have e-mail contacts? I am also going to talk to some of the local garrison people and see what they think as well.

At 5'10", close to 250lbs, and with an essentially barrel-shaped upper body, AM seems like the best choice. Not the most accurate (duh!), but of the available options it will probably fit your body the best. Be sure to go with the "lite" kit. since you'll want a better helmet than what comes with the "full" kit.

Thanks for the help guys I'm not gonna rush this at all but I will take any advice you want to give. I'm not to worried about the accuracy since the old fx is like the am I think? And it seems to be pretty popular so I should be good.

I would suggest the AM kit as well. Im in the process of building mine and it sounds like we have the same build. Im 6'0 and 240lbs. I have lifted weights all of my life so I honestly never thought I could be a TK. I looked and researched for a few years and always thought it was out of the question unless I was 160 lbs. I settled on the RT-Mod and the AM kits and did more research from there. It came down to the measurements on both and I ended up going with AM lite kit. I love it. Its easy to put together and comes trimmed up really nice. You dont have to cut off the extra abs from the molds you just have to trim it down to fit you.

Even with my odd proportions Im still trimming down to fit me which is something I didnt expect. Here is a pic to give you an idea of how you can make this fit without shims.

bicep.jpg.dba70c752e83095f0a5e3bbb48f9d62d.jpg

Edited by gmrhodes13
photo updated

On 4/7/2012 at 4:47 AM, theisaac said:

I would suggest the AM kit as well. Im in the process of building mine and it sounds like we have the same build. Im 6'0 and 240lbs. I have lifted weights all of my life so I honestly never thought I could be a TK. I looked and researched for a few years and always thought it was out of the question unless I was 160 lbs. I settled on the RT-Mod and the AM kits and did more research from there. It came down to the measurements on both and I ended up going with AM lite kit. I love it. Its easy to put together and comes trimmed up really nice. You dont have to cut off the extra abs from the molds you just have to trim it down to fit you.

Even with my odd proportions Im still trimming down to fit me which is something I didnt expect. Here is a pic to give you an idea of how you can make this fit without shims.

Nice this makes me feel way better about my choice and ability to fit into armor thanks!

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

I've seen pics of TKs in all shapes and sizes. I am a little torn between the "buff" big guys and the tall, skinny 160-pounders... they both look great to me.