Sds build continues...

Oops i screwed up i guess...

I thought i was using original armour as reference, I used these pictures:

SDSammothigh.jpg

Being a beginner i also looked at the CRL closely:

TK_anh_stunt_thighs.jpeg

My goal was to make it look more or less like in the pictures above...it seemed close to level,(much like Mathias' picture, where it sits on a table without topping) so i tried that....

Just as Steve i noticed that there was no way (on my suit) i could get it to look that way, with the rivets on the same height... So i took Steve's pictures as inspiration and blueprint (since he had tackled this before)

Just wondering...is this a centurion crushing mistake?

I'd go the wonky way. When you are wearing the armour, it all looks alot better. I had the same doubts like you during my build, but as Paul says, wonky is good ;)

Sorry if we're being hard on you, but it's a bad habit to look at other replicas when making your own so sometimes we have to put down a foot to save the others. It's not personal, nor directed to you. See this as a public service announcement. :)

The pictures you posted are indeed of original armour, except the last two. But you knee belt isn't mounted the same way. If you have good reference material, you also need to follow it. ;)

Some of the pictures in the gallery I posted above, including the image I posted were not available to the common public long ago. In fact people paid good money to see them. But now they are out in the free and it would be very un-wise, borderline rude, not to use them. If only to not keep the cycle of mistakes from repeating by doing what others have done before - Making replicas of other replicas.

It's like that whisper game where you tell someone something, and they re-tell it to the next person. The further you go, the more distorted the message gets.

I think the confusion starts when you start using other peoples suits for reference. You haven't really done anything wrong, just not done it how the movie suits are and that is the look we are all trying to achieve (hopefully).

You attached the knee strap fine on the outer edge but, for some strange reason, didn't attach it the same on the inner edge of the thigh. If you had just attached it so the top of the ammo strap so it was flush with the raised border on the lower edge of the thigh it would have been fine regardless of how straight or wonky it looked. Instead, you opted to attach it half way and that just isn't right. If no one ever says anything then others copy you on a slippy, downward slope to inaccuracy.

Next time you are unsure about anything, check the LFL archive photos and ask before you do something to avoid having to rectify later :)

Thats what confusing me..I have to have some reference photo if i want it to be screen accurate(which offcourse i want) As i was unsure about the way i attached the strap, i showed a picture in the beginning of this thread asking for feedback. I got a few good screenshots in response. I looked at the first trooper and he's got it almost level...i then double checked the CRL's...(level)...

I also checked out this photo:

StormtrooperCorps_anh1080p.jpg

I noticed there are various ways the belt was attached, but offcourse i can only choose 1 option.... All these reference shots (movie and crl) made me decide to go for the (more or less) level option. (trooper on the left)

I figured since they all look different they would all be mounted different...

@Mathias...you cant be too hard on me..i'm just learning, so please be strict with me ;)

I really appreciate all you guys taking your time to comment here and provide me with insight! :duim:

Edited by Red5

Don’t beat yourself up Etienne. As Paul said, you didn’t do anything wrong and it still does fall within the CRL specs.

I totally agree with what the guys are saying. Ones first reference should always be to the screen used reference pics, be they from achieves or screen shots. We then use our fellow troopers costumes for reference or inspiration. I used some of the same screen shots as you for my reference as well. As you can see in screen shots, mine blow and yours above, no two troopers looks exactly the same.

CRL is the guideline that guides us all. These are the essentials for what ones armor MUST have if we wish to attain 501rst approval, then EIB and then if we wish, Centurion. Each step up is a higher degree of accuracy.

Outside of the CRL specifics, we do have wiggle room as to what we wish to do with our particular armor. Do we want to go for a 1976 screen accurate, or do we want a fresh off the transport look? Do we want clean or weather worn? What sort of strapping’s do we want? Helmet lining? Do we prefer stickers on our helmet or the painted look? Mesh in the mouth or not? Plastic of normex gloves? Also your body type. Are you short or tall, slim or wide? These personal preferences will guide how we direct our build to a large degree as well.

ie, with the SDS armor, the bottom part of the chest plate does not have the correct ANH swoop. It swoops down instead of down and in. Now it is not part of the CRL, so you can get Centurion without fixing that, even though it is not completely accurate. But it is an extra step one can take it to be more accurate (Pandatrooper is helping me with that as we speak).

2-1.jpg

5200017710_9a58362ed4.jpg

3409e35b.jpg

Paul is right in saying we haven't done anything wrong. It is not against CRL. I personally did not want the wonky look, which is why I mounted my knee plate as I did. I knew exactly what I was doing. It still falls within CRL for EIB, which is what I am going for. Im not sure if it would effect centurion or not, but I'm not going for that.

I suppose our setup could be viewed as wonky as well. So perhaps it is just a matter of what degree of wonkiness one wants?

Edited by Sparrow

I personally did not want the wonky look, which is why I mounted my knee plate as I did. I knew exactly what I was doing. It still falls within CRL for EIB, which is what I am going for.

This. Of course you are free to do what you want. The problem is that unless we educate people, they will assume that what you did is the correct way to do it. You may know it's wrong and did it intentionally, but further down the line someone else comes and thinks it's the correct way of doing it. Therein lies the problem.

Really nice job Faie! Cool pics, thanks for posting them!

I thought about all that was said before so i decided to start over again...

A lot of unappropriate uttering and some paint later it now looks like this:

SANY1364.jpg

SANY1373.jpg

ammo.jpg

Sorry to disappoint but when you had the chance you should have trimmed the top and bottom of the knee belt so it stops at the top and bottom of the boxes.

The position looks a lot better now though. :duim:

StormtrooperBodyArmourComparison-15.jpg

Sorry to disappoint but when you had the chance you should have trimmed the top and bottom of the knee belt so it stops at the top and bottom of the boxes.

... and if you elect to trim the top and bottom as suggested, you may notice in your reference pics that the cover strip on the front of the thigh does not have to align over one of the ammo boxes. I too think that you've made some great improvements!!!

StormtrooperCorps_anh1080p.jpg

... and if you elect to trim the top and bottom as suggested, you may notice in your reference pics that the cover strip on the front of the thigh does not have to align over one of the ammo boxes. I too think that you've made some great improvements!!!

While the originals are indeed trimmed very sloppy, it is obvious that the intention was to have no flash above or below the boxes of the knee belt.

LOL! :)

I'm glad it turned out ok...Thanks for all the info so far!

I ordered some hand plates and a D-ring from Karin, but i guess she's very busy because i haven't seen her for awhile....

Centurion is on hold for now cause my first troop is coming up...:D

As soon as i have the d-ring, i'll submit for EIB...after that i'll pick up Centurion again... (I now know this status really is up and over the CRL's, and i'll have to do some more research first)

Btw: i have the SDS blaster....is fixing a D-ring sufficient? or are more mods required?

You also need to add the cocking handle to the SDS blaster for Centurion. You can read all about it in my old Centurion thread if you want.

Thanks Mathias! I will !

I noticed this thread was moved...cool, I already had a feeling i placed it wrong..