Wanting to jump right in! But have a few questions.

I was wondering if most people make their suits from the ground up such as scuplting out of clay and then vaccum molding ? Or do most just buy from the various makers such as AM? What is the price diffrence? What is the amount of hours required for both? I really am just excited to build a suit and join the 501st.

Edited by drummernic91

Look here, these trusted sources for armor. The armor comes formed but must be assembled, as far as price it depends on your budget.

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

Hi Nicolas!

oops, you already read the "getting started" sorry.. I wasn;t paying attention.

There's a site I saw a while back about making your own vacuum table...

I'll start looking for it.... :)

Found this on yahoo.... I'm not for sure THIS on eis good, but something like this:

-----------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

Thank you for that info but i still didnt see anything about people making their suits from scratch. Any good places to start?

Unless you plan on going into the armor business, you probably don't want to go that route. The initial setup costs are much more than what you'll pay by simply purchasing a kit, and you still have to have the artistic talent to sculpt the armor-forming tools.

Nearly everyone buys a kit from an established armor maker. Unless you are doing it simply for the challenge, it doesn't make sense (to me) to reproduce what others have already done - and do quite well.

I know this is my answer for everything but yes... RT-MOD.

I'm 6'5" when I stand up straight and the longer ab and leg parts help me look proportional. I'm more torso than leggy. RT is more accurate than AM which is also built for bigger troopers.

If your waist/abdomen is 42" or smaller you won't need to shim the sides of your RT kit.

When it comes to the number of hours to build your kit that's a bit person dependent. RT comes pre-trimmed and uses the overlap method of construction. That saves a bunch of time. You can also get a helmet already assembled from RT to speed up your process.

Rob of RT-MOD is making all manner of improvements this year to his helmet and armor based on feedback from us FISD troopers. 2012 will be an exciting year for RT-MOD fo sho.

Aloha,

-Eric