Helmet painting troubles

tbo

I've opted to go for a hand painted RT-Mod lid versus stickers. The frown and ear bumps went over fairly well, but troubles came about when I was painting the rest.

The first time around on the traps and everything else gray I used a #5 round with Humbrol 5. I put down a layer, but it was somewhat transparent so i let it sit for a while then added a coat and continued that process for 3 or 4 coats. I woke up the next day and it wasn't laying down evenly. I wiped it all clean and decided to try a larger brush..I went with a 5/8" flat and though it layed down flat I found myself with lots of tiny little bubbles.

Any reccomendations on how to remedy my troubles?

Thanks guys!

What Joe said.

Shake for 2 mins, stir for 2 mins then use.

Additionally make sure the area to be painted is grease and dirt free.

I would remove with paint thinner and then do a once over with some rubbing alcohol. Does this sound correct?

I'm going to stop by the craft store today and see if I can pick up some paint thinner, and quality brushes and give it another go.

When you remove paint you need to make sure no residue or solvent or alcohol is left before recoating it.

I prefer to wash the surface again with detergent to make sure no oil based liquid is left and let it dry very well. If using Humbrols, as stated you need to mix it very thoroughly and scrape the tin. I also find it takes much longer to dry. Make sure you are letting the helmet dry in the right temperature and humidity.

I prefer to paint the black shaped outlines first, let it cure for a day or two before filling with grey. Check out my ATA ABS helmet build thread. I personally prefer Testors Model master as I like the consistency more but to each their own.

http://forum.whitearmor.net/index.php?showtopic=14806&st=0

In addition to Panda's tutorial... Check out trooperbay's videos on hand painting a helmet.

Or just buy the hand painted looking decals from Trooperbay :)

Aloha,

-Eric