bottom up or top down

dogz

Hey guys, I'm building AP armor. I just finnished my helmet and am ready to start on the suit part of bussiness. My question is for fitting and building is it best to start with the shins and work my way up or chest/back and work my way down? Thanks in advance, Danny

I haven't built an AP kit (I have an AM) but I found the helmet to be the trickiest part of the build so if you have that complete you shouldn't have any problems with the rest.

I started on the biceps and forearms and then went to thighs and shins and then came back to the ab and back sections when I built mine. I don't think you need to do it in any particular order, just whatever you are comfortable with, although the guys with more build experience than me might have a different opinion.

Yeah that's usually the recommended way. Start with the biceps and forearms, they're small and easy to handle/trim. They also give you a feel for how the armour cuts and stuff. I ended up doing the body last cos that's how I did mine (also an AM).

But as Kade said, do whatever you're comfortable with. :)

Thanks guys, I just want to get nice looking and uniform gaps between the armor pieces and the under suit, not to much and not to little. This is my first costume build and like everyone else I want to do it right.

the forearms are probably one of the hardest parts to "start with"

I'd go with cutting out the biceps, keep note that all the trim lines should be followed at first.

the trimm lines show the "overlap" style of construction, and should be cut on first.

then after you have cut to the lines, then you can put the part on with duct tape and check your fitting.

you want to make sure when you fit all your parts that you can do the following:

bend your arms, legs. put hands and arms though. don't tailor it so close that you pinch your

skin when bending, armor can actually cut your skin.

the larger parts torso and other parts can be cut out with tin snips or heavy scissors.

for lines you can clamp a strip of aluminum to the armor and use that as a cutting guide

with a box cutter. simply score along the aluminum strip two times.

remove the clamps and strip and bend the plastic along the score line carefully.

it should pop off. lightly sand with 60 grit to remove the burrs and sharp edge.

care needs to be taken when looking at all the parts. use screenshots of armor from the film

itself to guide you into the details of the build.

best of luck!

• 3 months later...

I was also thinking to do the ab/cod/back first and then 'branch out' from there, especially for getting the thighs correct (knowing that the shins have challenges, too). I'm going to attend my first armor party next weekend so I will have a chance to see how others put their armor together. Granted, I think they are going to be working on Clone armor (for the most part), but getting feed back on what to use, this vs that, etc. will be informative. Plus I will be able to meet people who can lend me a hand when my RT-Mod gets here!

good luck with your armor!