Is clearcoat necessary?

So I painted my guns last week. Let them dry for a few days, then got them out to play with them a bit. (If you say you didn't, you're lying! pewpewpew!)

I placed one next to the armor I was working on and the lightest touch sent a black scuff across the armor. Nothing I couldn't smudge out easily, I'm not worries about that - but will this be a regular occurrence? Is it common for troopers to spray on a top clearcoat over the black, and does this help keep scuffing to a minimum?

And if so, is there one you recommend?

Thanks, troopers!

Dan

A few shots of the painted guns, since everyone likes pictures.

Doopydoos all-resin. (The cocking handle broke (nothing I can't fix), so I am redoing that part - but otherwise it's all good.)

d7ab9918.jpg

96201572.jpg

Hasbro mod and doopydoo conversion kit.

d5bb403d.jpg

And my little bonus - the SE-14r.

a1808261.jpg

I've seen matte clearcoats, Travis, so don't worry, I would never do that to a blaster. :)

Steve, I'm definitely not worried about scuffs on the blaster - I'm thinking that clearcoats may protect the armor (after I weather and detail the blasters) especially after such a light touch between the two caused it to mark the armor like a pencil.