The FX bucket...

But I have a question. What EXACTLY is it about the FX bucket that has people all hot and bothered by it? Yes it is bigger than the others, has the wrong aerators and the trapezoids are too big but is there anything else that is glaringly "wrong" with it? It seems that the only people that complain about it are the troopers. I have never seen any of the public that we entertain, and face it, thats what most of us are in this for, ever come up to someone using an FX bucket and say, "Isnt your head too big?"

Hi Dave,

I'll allow the experts to provide further color, but the size is only one issue. The overall look and shape of the FX helmet is not movie accurate.

Its an overall helmet shape that is typically called into question.

What Ed said, but also that the state of the art has progressed. Not that long ago getting a non-FX bucket was very hard and FX was very easy. Most every trooper had an FX bucket. Times have changed.

I have two issues with the FX.

1) It's not proportionate to people under 6'2" or so. I believe people's costume should fit proportionally, in much the same respect that someone 5'6" shouldn't be considered acceptable to wear a Vader that was made for someone 6'4". This is actually my biggest beef.

2) It's inaccurate in many details. Everyone has their hot spots, but for me it's the tube strips and squarish dome. This in itself would not be as big an issue to me except for the fact that more accurate helmets are these days easily obtainable. Every costume in the 501st raises the standards over time. This would be but one example thereof.

There is however a world of difference in stating that the helmet is banned retro-actively and banned only for new members, the main component of which is cost of upgrading, which is a concern to many.

Ok, I can see and understand these points. I too like accuracy and proportion but I guess until someone makes a truly affordable "accurate" kit for both smaller and larger people, I personally would not support an outright ban on the FX bucket for elite standards because any way you look at it, a different bucket means additional expense at this time. Who knows however what the future will bring.

Hmmm...a bigger and smaller accurate kit....hmmmm....... ;):salute:

Folks,

Carlos made many excellent points that only now am I fully appreciating them. FISD is a growing community. This is not the time to take opinions with respect to one armor and remove them for consideration.

We all want more folks to have armor that meets the highest standards, this also means being flexible with the related sources.

Therefore, the FX helmet will remain an option for Elite status until such a time that FISD is so big and we have so many Elite members that everyone agrees it is time for another step in armor accuracy.

Thank you all for the discussion and opinions, this topic is now closed.