Snap Size and Plate Size

TK-7186

Reading a lot of the forums I plan on buying good snaps, but is there any preference on 5\8 or 5\16? I see both listed in articles. Also, it was noted that people use styrene as the plate. What thickness is recommended? I could not find that in the articles I was reading or is there a better material outside of left over parts from the suit?

Thanks,

Gerrit

hobby stores sell Evergreen products for the Styrene plates. Plain .040 is probably the best option.

It's usually on it's own display rack that spins and has different styles of plastic for building miniature sets and buildings for train sets.

I usually use a finishing strip cut into rectangles. I use dritz heavy duty snaps and the snap tool pliars that match it.

if you use tandy snaps then you need to purchase the tandy pliars that match those.

using the anvil method sometimes can bend a snap incorrectly and you can end up wasting snaps.

you should lightly sand the bottom of the plate, and the area of your armor, then wipe with a soft cloth and some water to remove the dust

from sanding. then place a small piece of white duct tape over the back of the metal part of the snap plate.

this is what I use for all the internal strapping that is unseen inside the suit.

think of a snap plate being a circle inside a rectangle with about 1/16" wider than a snap.

the cod connection, is a different size and should be smaller jeans style snaps.

you can use a plastic "for sale" sign and just sand off the ink for the glue down side and leave the white back for the show side of the snap plate.

when I'm assembling snap elastics I take the cap part of the snap and the elastic, then I run a large rivet stem though the elastic, then I put

the cap onto the stem. then I push the cap though with the rivet pin as a guide. then I push the elastic down with the ring part of the cap.

pliar shut and then repeat for the other side of the elastic strap. then I melt the ends of the elastic to keep them from unraveling.

Edited by TK Bondservnt 2392

Thanks for the info. A Hobby Lobby store is opening down the street from me on Friday, which is good timing. My wife already has the heavy duty drtiz snap tool. Now all I need to do is steal her Joann Frabric coupons and go shopping.

-Gerrit