Resizing Armor - making calves, thighs etc smaller

James

I'm picking up my armor from a local 501st member. I am about 6' 180lbs, he is 5'11" 230lbs. I don't suppose the height difference will matter much but I'm not sure about some other items.

I've been told by others I can add padding to legs, arms if needed so the pieces are not loose.

IF I feel the need to actually re size those pieces I'm wondering if anyone has any tips or suggestions.

One thing I'm wondering about is, can the glue bond on ABS be unsealed with solvent etc?

Any other tips for this type of resizing if it becomes necessary?

Not sure on the glue type, I'll find out when I pick it up on Sat (can't freaking wait btw!)

Once I know what glue was used and try it on I'll report back. I'm happy to hear it sounds as if there are options if needed, thanks!

This is the posting from the GA 501st forum, "1 full set of AM(new FX) Stormtrooper Armor. This set includes: Helmet, armor, canvas belt, size 11 CAboots, gloves, neckseal, under suit, 1 white shoulder pauldron, 1 black shoulder pauldron, hasbro E11 blaster."

It's all ABS. Here's a pic.

fafkIbt.jpg

If it's a solvent cement then No way are you getting that apart without damage one way or another! :-( If it's e600 I'm pretty sure you can put it in the freezer over night and pop it apart (not tried that myself!) I have AM armour and had the same problem as I used solvent cement. Good luck mate :-)

Good news, the previous owner used velcro on the legs, no un-gluing needed!

This is my first time trying it on, clearly some adjusting is needed. I had the thighs way too high and the calves kept falling down. Also the kidney and butt plate needs attention but it's all do-able I think.

kMGrl1M.jpg

Kh5ntuT.jpg

LdtGrUF.jpg

LpNIOle.jpg

BOJuB1o.jpg

mXFfXkc.jpg

0r05iGN.jpg

SncZHXM.jpg

mXxNrhb.jpg

R8MgTrp.jpg

CyHNgdt.jpg

e9eQLzI.jpg

hnswUJB.jpg

QbHyeQi.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Got the armor and am steady working on it to get it ready for Halloween. Good news is the torso is all but done and I've completed a re-work of the inside of the helmet with new pads, updated the whole interior look and feel and added the electronics and fans.

Also I found that the thighs and calves were only glued on the front with e6000 and not very well. I'm confident I can get them apart to adjust for my size, but could use any tips on making that easier. Can I use rubbing alcohol? Heat? Cold?

Unfortunately the arms and biceps were put together with ABS. I can deal with them for a bit with some padding but will need to plot a way to cut them down and re-glue, maybe with strips added though I'm not sure how that can work as the armor has overlaps built into it already. It will be a trick to downsize those.

Only other thing I've yet to tackle and won't right away is a small patch of ripples just below the right shoulder strap in the front. Again, ABS glue and too much of it caused some melting. After halloween I'm going to do some tests with the acetone and abs shavings trick to see if I can sand, fill, and polish to a degree that will blend with the rest of the armor .. but that's down the line as it's not too noticeable (took me over a week to spot it)

Edited by James