Leather for Holster

Hey everyone,

I'm having my brother make my holster for my TK but after sending him the measurements he told me he didn't have a piece of leather big enough right now. Well this weekend I'm heading up there and will be stopping at Tandy leather to pick up a piece. Can anyone recommend what kind of leather to use for the holster? looking at there site there's way to many choices for me to just pick one. Any help would be greatly appreciated

The real holsters are very thick and you might need an industrial sewing machine to stitch it together. I took a bunch of 3mm leather holsters to my local cobbler and he sewn them together for me.

Nowadays I sew my own and use 1.5mm leather. While it may not be 100% accurate, it still does the job very well and even holds my real Sterling with no problems.

I bought my leather from a guy in south Milwaukee, Wisconsin. It was an old building that they used to make horse saddles. The guy bought it with all the leather, machines ect....It was cool to see all the old machines. But anyway, he cut me a piece of black cowhide for chaps that measured 2mm thick. Although the originals were a bit thicker, I actually doubled up the leather on the main body. Since one side of leather is sort of shiny and the back is almost fuzzy with no shine at all, the fuzzy side will show....a lot....when you fold the leather around to stitch it together. I just cut another piece and had it glued and sewed together so that the whole thing looked sort of shiny. I had this done at a local shoe and luggage repair shop.001.thumb.jpg.225d25cecb053d49ddfa7cfa29cd766b.jpg

Edited by gmrhodes13
photo updated

interesting holster.

I'm wondering why it has been sewn all around the top?

it's usually just one piece, dyed though, and folded over...

tan straps look really nice!