Looking for advice on Return edges (ANH/ESB)

Ok, so while work schedules interfere with my ability to actually start assembling my armor, I thought I'd really start firming up the research details. I wanna get to the point where I've built this thing a thousand times in my head before I start actually cutting and strapping :)

So I've been looking at screen shots to finalise my decisions about where to put return edges on my armor (for ANH/ESB) and where to leave them off. It goes without saying that the front end of the forearm has no return edge, and that there is a return edge at the bottom of the chest plate where the strapping connects to the ab/kidney section, along with matching return edges on these parts to hold the strap bar, as seen here:

Fq3i6Hz.jpg

Troopermaster stated somewhere in another thread that the original suits had very few return edges anywhere except these torso parts.

Looking at siMan's pics of his original suit over on the RPF this certainly appears to be the case - there are basically no return edges, excepting those mentioned and a very small edge down the sides of the Chest/Back/Ab/Kidney/Butt plate sections. It's possible I can see a very subtle return edge on the bottom of the left (as you wear it) thigh, but it might be the light. Unfortunately I cannot post pics here as SiMan asked that the pics not be reposted but they can be easily viewed here on the RPF.

Examining screen shots from ANH and ESB however i get different impressions.

The shoulder bells are tricky to figure out. SiMan's armor most definitely has no return edge anywhere on the shoulder bells (something I have heard before) yet looking at these screen shots I'm sure these troopers have return edges on the bottom of the bells:

DyGgyjs.png

hFZwhGI.jpg

They differ in size sure - but doesn't every detail of the OG suits? :rolleyes:

The picture above and this shot of Luke and HAn does seem to confirm a return edge at the sides of all torso armor but does not reveal the butt or crotch plate detail:

1XkKgef.jpg

Detail for the arms has been hard to ascertain as well. This TD seems to have a return edge on the back of his forearm peice - but again is lighting playing tricks with me? I was under the impression no part of the forearm had a return edge.

gYY8VXP.jpg

The hardest parts of all to confirm/deny are both portions of the leg armor. As I mentioned - the SiMan suit appears to have a slight return under the left thigh but these screen shots could really go either way. Is that a return edge or not on this guy's thigh bottom?:

ttDxAKY.jpg

And while this guys knee plate definitely has a solid return the rest of the edges are hard to define:

7INIQrd.jpg

The guy in the background of the pic above seems to have a thigh top return edge and in this photo I swear I see a return edge at the thigh top of the guy on the left but no on the TK to the right:

IfTwMQz.jpg

I know that every suit was hand trimmed for the film, and that they were all "unique" but, like everyone, I am trying to go for the most accurate compilation of general detail in one suit. I also know that return edges on everything help give the armor a "thicker" look for trooping and that ultimately it's up to me - but I'm trying to get the best possible blend of idealised and screen accurate I can - think original prop, but as it was supposed to have looked.

Can any of you detail buff's out there help me out with advice/knowledge on (relatively) screen accurate return edges?

One thing to remember....at the time of principle shooting for the original ANH...they were on a rediculously tight schedule. These stormtroopers were slapped together and pushed onto the set. In fact, the sandtroopers were the first to be shot for the film so the armor was really still in development and changing. I am sure that at the beginning, there were no definite standards that could be measured in millimeters. It took severe scrutiny to find what we know now in regards to certain details. Yes the forearms have no return. We know this from screen grab after screen grab. But in regards to the rest of the returns, most of your armor pieces have return edges marked. Just don't go too nuts and leave too much or cut away too little. The return edges were there just to give the armor the appearence of being thicker and heavy....not plastic.

Have fun and good luck.

On 5/20/2011 at 4:30 PM, JoeR said:

Have a study of the LFL archive photos that Matt G kindly shared with the world! :lol:

---

Courtesy of Caleb.

JoeR

Thanks Joe for that link - great reference! I'm confused though - are some of those pics of an Ainsworth suit? Are these photos related to the lawsuit (ie comparison pics) because some of the parts are definitely new and the crotch plate on the "new" looking armor has no brad?

Great place to get a basic idea of some return edges though and great down shots of the leg pieces. Looks like there was a slight return edge to the thighs but basically none on the shins...