My JoeR CfO ROTJ build

Been working on my JoeR CfO ROTJ bucket for some time now with the intention of making it into the first SE TD bucket (just have the helmet). And after a few weeks (or more than a few) I finally have something worth to share.

There is still a lot of work I will be doing on it, specially with the ear caps, but the main build is almost done and now I will go into weathering, detailing and aging.

Just a few pictures here to share, and

post-3106-0-67161900-1302625333_thumb.jpg

post-3106-0-26500700-1302625363_thumb.jpg

post-3106-0-22208700-1302625372_thumb.jpg

post-3106-0-88614800-1302625379_thumb.jpg

Anyone interested, there are a lot more pictures and descriptions in my thread over the MEPD...

http://forum.mepd.net/index.php?showtopic=7944&st=40

What do you think?

Saludos

• 2 weeks later...

THX a lot!!

:D

I know there is still a lot of room for improvement and I will be doing some mods in this days. I really want to finish this project. But real life stuff has got on the way lately.

Got new set of decals from Mike, and will be trying to apply them in a better way that they are now.

Also, will be doing the weathering and aging soon.

Thx for your comments!

:D

Hope this build is up to your expectations and make justice to such a great kit.

Saludos

• 10 months later...

After almost a year, i have been able to go back tothis project and hopefully will be finishing it very soon. I was never 100% happy with the frown so I re-painted the it with a mix of flat and satin black from humbrol. It went out awesome! At least the color. Hehehe. The shape is not that bad either.

So, here are some pictures of the bucket in its current form, as a TK.

5061e2f8.jpg

f9c44ec3.jpg

25eb7bd5.jpg

1777277c.jpg

And the metalizing job so that the mic tips look metal like the originals from ROTJ.

7c1ccbba.jpg

And a little preview of the replica insides.

f32235dd.jpg

d9a1b9bf.jpg

Still to come, get new silkscreened decals and then into SE style Weathering.

What do you think?

Saludos.

Looks awesome Juan. Great build up.

Just a couple of minor points. I would trim out the eyes a little more. The eye sockets on the JoeR moulds are a little bit small IMHO anyway, so I think you need to remove any excess and get them as big as possible. If you look at the original helmets they have huge eye sockets, same goes on ANH & ESB, a lot of the replica versions eyes are much too small.

Also there are lots of different sizes of frowns on original helmets, but I would go up a mm or two on the top edge of the frown. The far right end of the right had edge looks a little square. I think Caleb absolutely nailed the frown on his build up, as far the generic ROTJ frown looks.

I am no expert at all but these two things will make it look closer to an original in my opinion. I love the glue residue on the inside, great touch! :-)

JoeR

Edited by JoeR

Looks awesome Juan. Great build up.

Just a couple of minor points. I would trim out the eyes a little more. The eye sockets on the JoeR moulds are a little bit small IMHO anyway, so I think you need to remove any excess and get them as big as possible. If you look at the original helmets they have huge eye sockets, same goes on ANH & ESB, a lot of the replica versions eyes are much too small.

Also there are lots of different sizes of frowns on original helmets, but I would go up a mm or two on the top edge of the frown. The far right end of the right had edge looks a little square. I think Caleb absolutely nailed the frown on his build up, as far the generic ROTJ frown looks.

I am no expert at all but these two things will make it look closer to an original in my opinion. I love the glue residue on the inside, great touch! :-)

JoeR

Yeah!

Thx...

I do think that the eyes and teeth look a bit off! I actually trimmed a bit more the teeth last night before painting. I guess I should have trimmed the more. Will do.

Also, the eyes... I will try to make them bigger. So many references and all, and still find it very difficult to replicate. This i a tuff job to tackle. ROTJ is not a walk in the park. Specially for me, after having done so many ANH TDs... I am used to other kind of details and moulds. But I will get this done! No doubt of it...

:)

Thx bro.

What about the color? Does that black looks right in your opinion?

Thx a lot Joe!

Saludos.

Thanks Juan

I have no idea on colour, someone like Mark SSkunky or TM would know.

Just my opinions as well. There are others on here who know a lot more about troopers than I do.

Cheers

Joe

Juan,

That looks great!

I agree with what Joe said about the eyes and frown.When trimming the eyes just make sure when looking at it straight on you don't see any flashing.....It's minor trimming as they don't look bad at all.

Saying that the colour is good. Satin black is what you should have used and it looks like you did......

What glue did you use on the inside to add that old yellow look? I might have to nick that idea from you!!! :salute:

I like the metalizing touch on the tips.... Very good! I might nick that idea too! :D What did you do..... dry brush?

The helmet looks wonderful Juan!!

While I do agree with advice given from both Mark and Joe, I think you got the finish of the black paint spot on! Its not quite shiny, but not too dull either, its a perfect in between. Also, I really have to hand it to you on the messy smeared glue details and the metalized mictips, they look great!

The nick at the crest of the frown is also a nice touch!

Caleb

Edited by TKCaleb

Thx Luis, Joe, Mark and Caleb for your help and nice words! I know this build is far from perfect (and far from finished) but I am working hard to achieve the ROTJ look together with the signature messy work the art department add to all OT SW costumes and props.

I will trim the eyes to make them bigger... getting rid of the extra plastic.

Also, will try to do the same for the teeth and paint the frown´s to extend the right end and make it rounder, but I have a question...

Mark, I saw your endor TK replica helmet and the teeth look way bigger than mine, but the helmets on starwarshelmets.com don't seem to have teeth so big. Also, this is a replica intended for a SE TD, and the very few references I could find, does not show good details of the teeth. So, do you think (and everybody) that I should open them as big as yours, or just keep them a bit bigger than what I have at the moment?

Here are some ref shots of ANH SE...

Screenshot2011-01-31at72549PM.png

Screenshot2011-01-31at72617PM1.png

Screenshot2011-09-06at100634AM.png

Any thoughts?

The yellow glue is nothing but regular all purpose contact glue. Very popular over here in Mexico and I guess it should be available everywhere. Its the kind of glue shoemakers and leather artisans use... It is yellow from the can.

The metalizing of the tips was made with rub-n-buff (silver leaf) with a dry brush technique over satin black testors paint.

Thx for all your comments and input! It is much appreciated.

Saludos

Juan

Edited by iconoclasta_88

I think the teeth are open to artistic license. Just go with what you feel comfortable with.

I trim mine quite large as that's what joe said his was like and I've seen a couple of screen grabs like that and exhibition suits......

Cheers for the glue tip... I take it is contact adhesive....

So...

I opened the eyes a bit and the teeth too.

I ended up opening the teeth much more than I thought but it felt right to do it, so...

Also, extended the frown a bit to the right and made it more round on the end.

P1040327.jpg

P1040325.jpg

P1040328.jpg

What do you think?

I am still not 100% happy with the frown, so I might correct some stuff, specially at both ends. They look too narrow... just a bit off.

Edited by iconoclasta_88

I didnt really liked how the frown looked so I went back and painted it again.

I like it a lot more now. Think it is very closento the screen used ones.

7fc728bb.jpg

5370e3e8.jpg

abfe3ef6.jpg

Whatdo you think?

Saludos

Edited by iconoclasta_88

I think the frown looks great!! The helmet in general looks really awesome!! great work!!!

Now just go and weather it up!

Caleb

THX a lot!! :D

Every day that passes I found that I like more and more the ROTJ look!

Specially the weird black frown.

I am still waiting for a new set of decals from Mark (need to place the order).

In the meantime, I will place in a better position the tips, and make a couple of minor adjustments to the build before weathering.

This is slowly starting to take shape!

Finally!!!

:)

Saludos

Juan

• 1 year later...

So... Its been more than a year and my SE Sandtrooper helmet project has come back to my work bench once again. Hopefully to finally finish it.

A few months ago I upgraded the bubble lenses to more accurate ones, i dont have a pict atm but will post soon. Also waiting for new decals from Mark already on their way, to upgrade.

But today I fixed the accurate ROTJ liner Mark did for me a year or two ago.

I think it looks awesome and actually, fits really good.

Here is a picture of mine and 2 pictures of real screen used buckets. Can you tell which one is which? I know you can, just kidding.

CAC3F06A-0959-425C-A756-05DC1248EAB0-301

5695392802038c6244e705fc1efda97d_zpsa756

5bba02616cacb927f5ffd08027bd2cec_zps8ce3

More updates soon.

Saludos.

Edited by iconoclasta_88

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

its been a while since my JoeR cucket first arrived in february 2011 till today. Focusing in many projects in Real Life, including a baby girl born the same day the bucket arrived. But I have been patient and worked on the bucket, gathering all the parts I needed to build a ROTJ replica that I then could turn into a SE TD. 

I know that technically the SE buckets are not ROTJ but made from a different badge around 15 or so years later and that they are similar to the tour helmets but well... this is the closest we are able to get, and probably the closest we will ever be.

So...

I gathered the bucket, the correct hardware and used the correct assembling technique (AFAIK).

Then had to have the replica vintage hard hat liner from a run Sskunky did a couple years ago.

Also had to go through a couple Bubble lenses sets until I had the correct ones in green from riveting.

Finally, after looking for a correct silk screened set of ROTJ decals, went back to Sskunky to get a replica (even if not silk screen) set of ROTJ decals that fit awesome!

Also added a set of chin straps from Karin with vintage "snaps".

Added some weathering (not enough yet, need to perfect it)... and, a ROTJ replica is done.

Here are a few picts from my phone and hope to get some professional picts taken soon.

MY SE TD bucket in its form/stage of ROTJ replica...

First, this is the ROTJ look I got inspired by:

a591c0e1f95674907a6749aef4d96e37_zps1cb0

And this is my bucket:

4c9cb6b239cf2f1f0dd9056b1af6fd0f_zps9a92

4f4cd87b4f90bf2900b48e1b1c444a7f_zps5e96

28548c8051d928daaf6c834b72a55156_zpsb948

77451dcbbebb16e91e47e4393fbeab9a_zps29ff

97db24f02fdc6bed5b3a7c4989bb9f3b_zpse90d

The insides:

40fdfd99acf5b9dbd9311330175ba23e_zps62d8

And me in my ROTJ mode.

9c33478f31db9be485352d4091fef5f5_zpsdb30

Even if it is not 100% done, have to say that I loved working in this bucket. It is a very cool, detailed and awesome kit. The ROTJ look was not my fav, but must admit that I have found a new love for it. Never will it surpass the ANH or the Sandtrooper love I have, but this is now probably my second fav look for a bucket.

The JoeR kit is awesome and the details and little defects gotten from the original helmet are awesome!

So... what do you think?

Saludos.

Looks amazing. You've done a wonderful job. :duim:

Thx bro!! All the parts, the kit itself and great help you gave were really REALLY important part of this project of course. 

You do know your stuff for sure...

And I think that, with all the time invested, research and help provided from lots of members here have payed off with a great looking bucket. 

Thx mi hermano!

Saludos.