Rustoleum enamel looks "rough"

Hello everyone,

I just got done painting the first half of my ATA kit with some Rustoleum gloss enamel. Is it normal for it to look rough and not smooth after painting and letting it hang? Does it smooth itself out?

Thanks

You can/should polish the paint once it dries with some high grit polishing cloths. Start with 4000 and work up to 12000. I've used that process on my ATA lid and couldn't be more happier. I never knew a spray painted finish (with a little work) could look so good.

See this post. This topic has been previously reviewed/discussed:

------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2020

With my helmet, I put it on until it looked smooth (too thick) and it took about 3 weeks to completely harden and cure. The helmet turned out great, but i didn't want to wait another month for the armor, so I put it on thinner and with more coats. It seems that in the last hour it has smoothed a bit.

Thanks Darktrooper, your idea sounds like it will clear up whatever problems I still have when this has finished hardening.

With my helmet, I put it on until it looked smooth (too thick) and it took about 3 weeks to completely harden and cure. The helmet turned out great, but i didn't want to wait another month for the armor, so I put it on thinner and with more coats. It seems that in the last hour it has smoothed a bit.

Thanks Darktrooper, your idea sounds like it will clear up whatever problems I still have when this has finished hardening.

Yeah, you really have to put it on pretty thick in order to get that super glossy surface. I know though it takes longer to dry that way, but it's worth the wait I think. But you should be able to fix it by sanding it smooth and either polish it up or re-coat it again with a glossy clear coat.

Edited by TK 4702