Snap vendors

I am trying to find a good place to buy some snaps for my armor. My kit came with Velcro, but my fear is that the glue will fail.

I checked my local Hobby Lobby and they wanted $7 for 5 snaps. I would like to think there are cheaper places to get them.

Thanks

Eric

Ummm... yeah. That would be the tool in the picture. Often called 'vario pliers'. I only just learned of those about a week ago myself (this place is very educational). I'd been scratching my head wondering how you're supposed to hammer the snaps in (like I did in leathercraft at school) without shattering the plastic... :0Lighten:

Ummm... yeah. That would be the tool in the picture. Often called 'vario pliers'. I only just learned of those about a week ago myself (this place is very educational). I'd been scratching my head wondering how you're supposed to hammer the snaps in (like I did in leathercraft at school) without shattering the plastic... :0Lighten:

I saw the punch and anvil looking thing on the Tandy web site, and said there has to be an easier way. :) Do you know if the Vario Pliers come in different sizes and is there a rating or anything I need to look for?

Thanks,

-Eric

On 3/1/2011 at 9:37 PM, Darth Furious said:

Intense! How careful do you have to be about not shattering the plastic?

I probably hit 100 snaps since i built 4 armors in 2010 and that never happened. When you make you snaps on plastic you'll practice and get good --------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2020

I've used both the Dritz snaps from Joanns and the snaps from Tandy Leather Factory. As far as I can tell, they're identical. Biggest difference is in price - average cost per snap at Tandy's is much cheaper. Also, it's definitely a good idea to have extras on hand just in case you need to redo a few.

On 3/2/2011 at 3:10 AM, Sonnenschein said:

I say get the vario pliers. They save a lot of time and strenght.

I am going to place my order for the snaps from Tandy. I'll have to see the difference in price before I decide on what tool to use. In the mean time, while I was browsing on their site I saw this:

----------

Anyone ever use one of these to secure the thermal detonator?

-Eric

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed