How many here are NOT 501st?

DarthVeach

I joined the UKG site a while back and submitted my Qui-Gon Jinn costume for clearance, only to be told im far too short and don't look old enough...so from that day on i have vowed never to be a fully fledged member even if crewing was the route to achieve this status. I was also told that if i was to modify the costume i could apply for Generic Jedi instead!! As if the being short and young wasn't insulting enough, they suggest i spend MORE money to modify sumthing ive had tailored especially as Qui-Gon Jinn and cost in the region of £1400!! Noway!!

But hey at least i still get to troop with my home club the Emerald Garrison in Ireland and we have been going from strength to strength over the last few years

Very rare I will take a stand against the UKG's rules but in this case I think they are wrong.

How tall are you as a matter of interest?

5'8" im ny boots, but unless there's a Jar Jar or an Episode 1 Obi-Wan standin beside me nobody notices or even mentions it

A tad short perhaps, but how come they have had female "hero" Jedi of a ..ahem "larger size" before?

I've asked the question mate.

For the age bit, I would have just stuck a bit of grey in my hair/beard if I were you.

Qui Gon Gin isn't a 501st costume anyway mate, he's a Jedi.

501st are TKs, Vader, Boba, Bikers etc. The bad guys :)

Are you confusing UKG with Rebel Legion or Rebel Command?

Sorry to hear about your non clearance dude, would you like me to look into it for you?

Qui Gon Gin isn't a 501st costume anyway mate, he's a Jedi.

501st are TKs, Vader, Boba, Bikers etc. The bad guys :)

Are you confusing UKG with Rebel Legion or Rebel Command?

Sorry to hear about your non clearance dude, would you like me to look into it for you?

I think it might be in hand John ;) , though I fear it may be too late as far as Warren is concerned. :( Hope you change your mind Warren mate.

I started out with this hobby approximately one year ago. I had never heard of the 501st Legion but it was carnaval time here in the Canaries and I wanted a cool Star Wars costume.

I had seen the Rubies armour and came very close to buying one.

Luckily, I don't ever make any major purchases without trying to do a bit of research. A quick search for "stromtrooper costume forums" on the internet lead me to the 501st Legion and the UKG's board. I posted asking for advice and it was only a matter of a few hours before I got a PM from Mark (firebladejedi) with a list of trustworthy armour sources.

Within a very short space of time I had all the information I needed and it quickly became clear that I had to get involved.

It was the 501st who had provided me with all the support I needed, stopped me from making the very expensive mistake of buying a Rubies costume.

I partly felt an obligation to repay the Legion for their support and kindness but I also realised that membership would give me a lot more opportunities to suit up (instead of just once a year at carnaval) and, with all the charity work, actually do something meaningful with my costume.

A year later and both the wife and I are active members of the Spanish Garrison, we've made a lot of new friends and had a blast along the way.

PS Didn't deliberately throw in a positive story about the UKG for balance by the way. I genuinely owe them a lot of thanks for how they helped me get started.

If they forget about the height and youngness and reconsider my clearance then i might mate.

I understand your frustration Warren, but if I can say this, I'm a short fellow. Weigh 10st soaking wet and have a 37" chest.

I can't expect to get cleared as a Vader in the UKG.

Doesn't upset me, I just accept it. Actually the 501st isn't allowed to discriminate on height, build etc, but we just hope people will use common sense.

I could throw my toys out and build a Vader and then kick up one hell of a stink with the 501st if I'm not cleared. But would I be happy I don't look right? Probably not, if I were truly honest with myself.

I'd also love to wear my girlfriends Zam Wessell outfit :) Not ashamed to say that as it's ace, lol. I'm really proud of it but Becky is a little disheartened with stuff ATM and doesn't want to wear it, sadly.

Even though she has a veil, I say out of common sense, I won't wear it.

Maybe ask our GML what can be done to help him feel comfortable with clearing you. He can't clear everything that gets sent in.

Looking at your avatar, I'm sorry to say you do look young dude. (Look cool, but do look young) So find ways of aging youself and maybe slaping inserts into your boots.

Surely problem solved then?

Matt looks like he's sorting you out, but try not to get too upset about it. Just ask what can be done to fix it :)

I'm not 501st yet but as my armour is still on order it would be hard to get approved without it.

However I have found a wealth of knowledge and help from people like John DANTER who have pointed me in the right direction. I was also invited to meet the 501st guys in Peterborough earlier this year at a small troop.

They were a great bunch of guys and gals who were all having fun in their hobby, both myself and my wife were made to feel very welcome and I am looking forward to getting my armour in the post, building it (hopefully with more advice from Mr DANTER) and becoming a fully fledged trooping member of the 501st.

All I need to do then is persuade the wife to troop as well.

Craig