Replacing snaps fasteners/press studs with stronger ones

Hi Everyone,

I've used that technique (Tony Barnett's snap technique) where you glue a snap fastener (aka press studd) to a piece of ABS plastic then glue the plastic to the armour.

Initially I used the snaps that you buy from a local chain hardware store and found they tend to unfasten too easily.

So today, I bought some stronger snaps from a tarpolin store. They seem a lot stronger - I put one set together and still haven't pulled them apart and broke a nail trying (and I have short nails because I'm male).

I've also removed that plastic bits from my armour using an exacto knife.

Now, I have a whole bunch of weaker snaps glued to the ABS plastic pieces. Someone suggested I should be able to remove the snap and attach the stronger ones on now. How do I remove the old ones?

Bye

Elwyn

On 2/12/2011 at 9:59 PM, dashrazor said:

got any pics? ... that would be a big help :D

I didn't think I needed any and I thought the Tony Barnett web page explained how I did things pretty well.

-----------

I was trying to reuse the ABS because I don't have much spare ABS and I couldn't find much plain flat PVC at the hardware store except really long drain pipes.

I've been told how to do it and the instructions have worked.

If anyone else wants to reuse their ABS pieces: drill into the snap fastener.

• Use the same size drill bit as the hole in the ABS piece.
  • Drill over where the hole is.
  • I used a hand drill and it took a lot of force. It doesn't drill through but the force dislodges the parts from the plastic.

This technique doesn't work with the snap fasteners on the elastic.

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

Hi mate,

If they are stronger, male to female, be careful that it doesn't take too much strain on the glue, armour on removing.

I have found that being a little loose is better. Try coating the female with nail varnish and let dry. You may have to redo from time to time but the extra film holds it snug and wont un-pop.

The hold needed is not much so I wouldn't suggest really strong ones. You could find it will bend your armour or at worse tear when unclipping ( if a thin type)

But I am talking about the male-female tension, not the snap to base plate, which should be strong of course

Just my experience

gra

Edited by tk7713gra30