Helmet mod question: painting

I notice a great many people paint the inside of their helmets black. Of course it looks good, especially if you've got black padding and whatnot.

I'm curious, though. Does it serve any other functions? It occurred to me that it might be a heat related thing too.

To my knowledge, it doesn't really serve any function. If you have a small head, it could serve as a less reflective surface of when people snap photos of you, possibly minimizing the chance of people seeing your eyes. Of course, when you're adding things like fans, mics, or other mods, they tend to be black as well, so they seem to blend in better.

I think in the end, it's boils down to "it looks cool," especially when you show a fan who wants to see the inside of your bucket. Just my $0.02, I could be wrong.

That being said, I wish I had done it when I put mine together.

I would think that ABS is too thick to make any difference heat-wise, and in the 18 months I've been trooping have never had an issue with glare or flash.

The only reasons I ever heard of people painting the inside is as Carlos suggests - to give it a more complete & finished appearance when taken off.

Which is a very valid justifictation in intself. :)

... and in the 18 months I've been trooping have never had an issue with glare or flash.

Eh, it was a shot in the dark :D . I only thought of that due to many people expressing that many of the lenses used (ex. bubble lenses that come with an FX kit) don't hide the eyes well when pictures are taken.

I only thought of that due to many people expressing that many of the lenses used (ex. bubble lenses that come with an FX kit) don't hide the eyes well when pictures are taken.

Bubble lenses look fantastic but are very hard to see out of. Most folks swap them with flat grey, or else convert to the stunt helmet look with flat green. I got mine from Got*Armor, but I've also used double layer green acetate to good effect.

Now what would be cool is self-polarizing lenses so that they lighten in dark light. Nothing worse than bumping into people at a night event. :-p

I actually took a green welding face shield and made two sent of lenses of out it. All it took was a good pair of scissors and a little leverage to cut through. Way better than the stock lenses in a FX kit.

Thx, Ed

I have painted all of mine. I found out that what it does is takes down on the shadow in bright light. I have a big head, and even in the FX,there was a ton of open space.

I also found that I can "focus" better on outside things rather than constantly seeing a white border around my eyes looking out. .I recomend it, but like everyone said, it is a preferance to do it.

Boozel

I actually took a green welding face shield and made two sent of lenses of out it. All it took was a good pair of scissors and a little leverage to cut through. Way better than the stock lenses in a FX kit.

Thx, Ed

I totally agree. But back on topic, it looks like it's all up to personal preference. Hell, you could paint it pink if you wanted, no one's really gonna see it. :P