Help with ATA questions

Hello everyone,

I plan on ordering a suit of ATA armor in the next month or so, and I had a couple of questions. I want to be able to join the 501st, so I want to be able to do things right and how they should be the first time around, and not have to go back and change anything, but I looked at the CRL here on the site and there are so many different variations I don't know where to start. What would be the best (easiest) to accomplish with a set of ATA between ANH, ESB, ROTJ and etc.

Also, "Applicants should contact their GML for all costume requirements." What does GML stand for?

Lastly, what is shimming? I imagine its trimming or cutting the armor or something to that effect, but i haven't been able to find anything about it specifically here on the site.

Thanks for your help.

well, all of these questions will be handled by several mentors on this site... expect some great answers to come.

if you'd like a guide, I have the ATA kit.

and I can help out in any questions you may have.

I'd say ANH or ESB are the easiest. The armor is the same, helmet paint schemes, blaster and holster are different. ROTJ armor is different than ANH and ESB, as is the helmet.

GML = Garrison Membership Liaison -----

Shimming is where you add plastic between two pieces to bridge a gap where there would otherwise be no plastic. For example, if the ab and back plate do not meet on the sides of your body and there is a gap, you can add plastic between the two pieces to bridge the gap so no black undersuit shows. Terry has a great writeup here that includes some info on shims----

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2020

Welcome Michael

I have an ATA myself. Great suit, I have no regrets. I opted for an ANH Stunt because that's the TK I like the most. I believe you can make an ATA a Hero build or ESB as well but ROTJ has some unique qualities that may require some extra effort. No matter what you decide, none of them are going to be "easy" if you want it done right. In the end it is well worth the effort, no question there.

Your absolute 2 best friends in this endeavor are Research and Patience. You're here so you've taken a right step in the research department. :D

Have you joined the forum for your local garrison? There will, no doubt, be people to help you out there. Most times they'll let you come help with troops, visit armor parties, etc. so you can see actual suits to help you decide.

Have fun!

Edited by ajax407

Hi there Michael. Make sure to start some of you research on the Imperial Reception Center. There are overviews of each piece of armor and acessories, with relevant threads to tutorials and helpful links at the end of each article.

-----

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2020