AKER + Rom/fx

Sorry if this is a really stupid question but I am not good at all when it comes to electronics. I am planning to add sound to my AP when I have built it and have done lots of research on here about all the different set ups. I have decided to play it simple and go for the AKER voice amp. Does the Rom/fx plug into the aker to give you the static burst or is the Rom/fx a voice amp on it's own? Like I said, sorry to ask such a noob question.

Rob.

the rom fx is an amp on it's own. but people have used that in an aker setup no problem. just using one of the inputs on the aker.

and the other for an mp3 player, for some radio chatter.

So, if I get a rom/fx, is that every thing I need? ,Speaker, mic etc. Thank you for your help.

First, let me say that i am biased toward aker amps. I own and use both a romFX and a hyperdyne. The RomFX does amplify and can output to an un-powered speaker. I instead output to an aker amp. I run the RomFX at 30% volume and the Aker amp at 60% volume. The aker gives me better volume control and a LOT more volume. I know of many people who upgrade to a Aker amp with their RomFX.

With the hyperdyne you have to have a powered amp/speaker.

• 2 weeks later...

First, let me say that i am biased toward aker amps. I own and use both a romFX and a hyperdyne. The RomFX does amplify and can output to an un-powered speaker. I instead output to an aker amp. I run the RomFX at 30% volume and the Aker amp at 60% volume. The aker gives me better volume control and a LOT more volume. I know of many people who upgrade to a Aker amp with their RomFX.

With the hyperdyne you have to have a powered amp/speaker.

Jim, is there a minimum distance you need to keep between the RomFX board and Aker speaker/amp to avoid feedback? I currently own a Aker MR1506 (love it!), and I'm considering buying a RomFX and pairing the two.

I have my Aker amp mounted inside the chestplate with the speaker facing forward, and I'd like to mount the RomFX next to it. Since I tend to go back and forth between ANH and ESB, mounting the RomFX inside the helmet isn't the best solution for me, and I don't want to have to buy two of them.

On 11/11/2010 at 5:10 AM, tkrestonva said:

Jim, is there a minimum distance you need to keep between the RomFX board and Aker speaker/amp to avoid feedback? I currently own a Aker MR1506 (love it!), and I'm considering buying a RomFX and pairing the two.

I have my Aker amp mounted inside the chestplate with the speaker facing forward, and I'd like to mount the RomFX next to it. Since I tend to go back and forth between ANH and ESB, mounting the RomFX inside the helmet isn't the best solution for me, and I don't want to have to buy two of them.

Here is what I did and to tell you the truth it works great. I've done a couple of troops and no problem so far. I used velcro to attach the case in the back and ran the connection around my side and plugged it in. Just a option because I too didn't want to have more than one set up and wanted a way to transfer between armor. Here is a link to my set up. ------------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link removed no longer working

There are no minimum distances for the Aker amps and the RomFX. I have them right next to each other in my TX. The only distance constraint is the microphone and the aker speaker. That distance is also variable with the direction of the mic tip in relation to the speaker distance.