How many 1st generation TK helmet molds are there ?

gh05ty

This may have been covered before but search is not my friend today... How many makers have 1st generation helemt molds? we know the JoeR, ROTJ is 1st gen and from what i can gather T*E's 1st gen (Brian R?) molds are now in the hands of TE2, Gino's cant be counted as 1st gen because they are duplicates of the T*E 1st gen molds (2nd gen? ), and TM's are sculpted so while they are 1st gen they are not "scrren used".

Is this it or have i missed something somewhere? I think if anyone knows this its the good people of the F.I.S.D. :D

Strictly speaking, first generation molds are originals, sculpted by hand, so if you're talking about screen used helmets, first generation were the ones made by Andrew Ainsworth in the 70s. I think he said something about selling what he had in the 90s, but no idea who purchased that.

All molds taken from an existing product are 2nd generation molds.

So, strictly speaking, only TM has 1st generation molds.

I think you've covered it....?

Touchy subject this but only Mr Ainsworth, if you believe what he says <runs for cover> lol that he still has them...?

Everyone is entitled to an opinion on him. Most of them are bad :)

His suits are trash yes but his lids aren't that bad really, IMO. Very pricey and have their flaws, but can be 'explained' (that is if you can be bothered to try and trust him, or even want too anymore) with a bit of lateral thinking, an understanding of vac forming, plastics, looking at the films and seeing TK lid inconsistencies yourself, plus an understanding that HE doesn't stick them together anymore, a local art college does (who aren't as anal as us) and the flipping face plate isn't trimmed back enough off the mould, making it stick out like a baboons face cos it doesn't fit back angled inside the tubes properly, lol, or also totally dismissed as trash too :)

(I've made mine look a lot better than received by cutting it up, taking an inch or two of the plate off and reattaching everything myself)

Personally, I love the face plate, accurate enough IMO. No tear oval though? (apart from a few things, also 'explainable' it matches very well) The back cap, not sure what he's done there as a trap is slightly off with him...? He says he repaired his mould....? Some think he's full of it, some think he maybe using his prototype serrated back plate thing, cleaned up?

Cos he's lied about his suits, nothing else he says is credible anymore and would you want to let yourself believe him after that and for a few £100 more than anyone elses lid? Sadly, not his even his 'valid' and simple reasons as to why his new lids are slightly different tend to put you at rest. I'd like to believe him 100% but hey ho.

Incidently, my lid was free, so I'm not defending him, nor my wounded wallet as it can get you into trouble :)

Thing is, if you know where to look, all of the so called 2nd Gen lids can be ripped apart and flaws/differences found within minutes anyway. They don't quite match up either but no one subjects them to the same level of scrutiny. Their history is just accepted as a simple recast of an original.

TE2, which maybe one of the answers you're after (?) has been cleaned up so much its too sharp now and doesn't match the original curves. Still a lovely lid, so each to their own. Simple TE maybe?

I don't know about AA's 90s mould sale comment? Really? The swine!

One thing to consider is you would lose more detail taking a cast from a thing floppy bit of plastic, than you would casting the actual mould itself

TM is super close and not copied from anything other than his head :)

PS: Nice snowie dude :)

Edited by john danter

What i meant by this thread was the first gen of whats available to us mere mortals,by which i mean the T*E/2, gino, etc etc (actually 2nd gen?), my apologies if i wasnt very clear, i was just wondering if there were any others apart from the T*E line & now the JoeR ROTJ's.

I know TK threads can be volatile sometimes and im not trying to say anyone is better than anyone else im just interested in the origins of whats available out there, so please correct me if im wrong but all of the helmets available apart from the TM are from these 2 screen used in some way or another?.

PS: Nice snowie dude :)

Cheers but its not mine.. it was on loan for my first time in armour, loved every second of it. :D

If you ever need any help doing your own Snowtrooper, just ask me ok dude :)

john.danter@btinternet.com

I undrstand your post and yes you're correct as far as I understand it. (AP and TE) I think there's a history lineage thread here somewhere?

Other people have suits yes, but a suits path and a lids path could be different. I think more lids have survived than complete suits but don't know of many who have taken casts.

Just saying things aren't always what they seem in terms of 'screen accurate'.

Edited by john danter

Actually there are a few more.

TE copied a ROTJ from the outside, which is where his ROTJ and GINO's moulds come from. Jason Joiner also moulded an ANH Stunt from the outside and there are casts floating about. Another person cast an ANH Hero from the outside and these are also floating about somewhere. Someone I know on another continent has 1st gen moulds of a ROTJ background helmet, although they have never been released to the public.

Mark and I also own the Cameron Oakley helmet moulds which were cast from the outside of an original ROTJ helmet. :D

This new ANH helmet will be cast I am sure, if only for the current owners use.

There must be more but these are all that I know about.

Joe

Cool Joe cheers bud, :dancing-trooper: so theres 6 helmets that have been molded (the 5 you mention here and your own ROTJ) and one possible.

Its amazing that with all the helmets that were made for the movies that this is all that has made it out... does make me wonder how many screen used helmets are sitting in sheds or attics forgotten for 30 years :(

Edited by gh05ty

Cool Joe cheers bud, :dancing-trooper: so theres 6 are helmets that have been molded (the 5 you mention here and your own ROTJ) and one possible.

Its amazing that with all the helmets that were made for the movies that this is all that has made it out... does make me wonder how many screen used helmets are sitting in sheds or attics forgotten for 30 years :(

I agree Rob, I reckon there are loads more castings and original helmets out there. Also remember that TE cast two ANH helmets, the Brian R face and cap and the SFS ears and he scanned the SFS.

Joe