Aren't you a little short for a Newbie Help - How/What to Order

Yes, the "what to wear" thread is awesome, but I am one of those newbie newbies and I am still lost.

I am the 5'2" 100lb chic looking to be awesome as that "aren't you a little short for a stromtrooper" stormtrooper. B)

So, from what I can gather and what others have suggested, I should go for AP.

Can someone tell me why?

Why not HIPS or T/MC - what is wrong with those? They all sound the same to me!:blink:

Once I figure that out... how the heck do I order the stuff? I know we are not supposed to talk about things like "oh, buy here" on this site, but really, how do I find these people? Some email addresses are listed at the start of this forum... but others are left out...

I hope I am not going to turn into that annoying newbie that no one can stand to deal with... I do happen to be a Jar Jar fan... :unsure:

Well HIPS is a material (high impact polystyrene) not a vendor, but T/MC is a vendor. AP is the usual recommendation for smaller troopers because the parts are smaller than what you'd find in FX, AM, or RT-Mod. If you look around *carefully* ;) many of the armor vendors are members on the forum. If all else fails, just send one of the staff members a PM and they will point you in the right direction. It's a little bit of a game trying to decipher all the information I know, but necessary to keep the sellers protected, and to make sure people that join up on FISD are really interested in trooping with the legion, not just blowing in from anywhere and finding contact info for these important people that make the armor.

PM sent..

Edited by NoVATie

I'm a couple inches taller than you (5'6") and I chose ATA which is made of HIPS. I love it. It costs less than an AP kit and is a more labor intense build because you'll need to paint it. My 2 cents for a fellow "short trooper" ;)

I would not worry about your height. There are a lot of people adorning the white armor that are between 5 feet and 6 feet tall. It is all in the way you build your suit, so it fits your size.

Obviously your are better off getting a kit that fits averge size like AP, TM, ATA, and TE2.

You have serveral choices in materials that the makers use.

Acrylonitrile-Butadiene-Styrene, or (ABS) is a complex combination of three different plastics. It is also what the original screen used TK suits were made from.

High Impact Polytyrene or (HIPS) is an aromatic polymer made from the aromatic monomer styrene, a liquid hydrocarbon that is commercially manufactured from petroleum by the chemical industry. ...

There have been many debates on which is the better material for trooping. These debates range from which has sharper detail to which is going to withstand the long haul. Also, painting versus polishing, and which are more accurate to the screen used suits, etc. etc. I say it is up to the individual's taste, like Pepsi versus Coca Cola.

ATA made with HIPS

TE2 made with HIPS

TM made with ABS

AP made from ABS

Here is a couple of pix from AP. Mark Harrison said the person in the pix is 5'7" and there are no mods to the AP suit in the pix.

AP

Armor11.thumb.jpg.7e94f7439c5016cf09dfbfea0a88bc39.jpg

Edited by gmrhodes13
photo updated

Most of the ANH suits (TE2, ATA, T/MC, AP) are similar in size and there's no appreciable difference in their dimensions. Most of the differences will be material (HIPS vs. ABS), cost (some are cheaper than others), and the detailing of the suits (for instance the details on TE2 are sharper than on ATA). Also, not all the parts are identical to each other, so while very similar they're not identical.

Alas, I'm not sure there is a *best* answer. Each has their own fans for their own reasons, and IMHO they're all good suits/makers.