ATA Bucket Build[*ATA]

It's finally here! I picked this up from the post office today. I was relieved that I wasn't taxed as much as I expected.

4815102580_1c05469f01.jpg

Bentley likes the box as well!

4815102652_a01c0a046b.jpg

It's packed really well and the box was in excellent condition.

4815102710_b36a235098.jpg

All spread out in its unassembled glory.

I'll post more pics when I start working on it later tonight. I'm still too nervous to start on it. Will go through a couple of build threads/tutorials first so I can gain some confidence.

I'd just like to say thanks to Terrell/Supertrooper for helping me take my first steps not only into the 501st but also the hobby as well.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice helmet ,nice dog, i got the same dog!

have fun building it.

Thanks! Cool that we have the same dog.

I tried practice trimming the excess plastic from the ears a bit and ended up with nothing. My Xacto blade couldn't even get a 1/2mm cut into the plastic. All it did was make really shallow lines even with some force. Any tips?

Also, can anyone point me to a detailed tutorial on how to build this kit (if any exists)?

A guy in my Garrison showed me this thread. TE2 helmet is pretty much the same as ATA. This is what I used to put my helmet together.

http://forum.whitearmor.net/index.php?showtopic=2066

Thanks! That's what I'm following now.

Is it normal that small thin bits of plastic would peel off whenever I snapped a scored piece off?

I just made my first score around one of the ears. It was one of the most nerve-racking things I've done in a long time. My heart was pounding while my Xacto knife was going through the line I drew a few millimeters from the mold lines. I'm leaving a bit of extra plastic to leave room for fitting on the helmet. I'm going to take a fiver and do my second run on the score after.

I've finished trimming the ears and I'm a bit nervous how they fit with the rest of the helmet.

I'm working on the teeth now. Having a really hard time with them. I used a drill to make pilot holes and I'm cutting bit by bit off using my Xacto knife. I don't want to use the drill other than for the pilot holes because it's a hand drill and not a dremel so I don't have much control.

Will post pics of the ears and the teeth a bit later.

I used a drill to make pilot holes

Good start but I find curved scissors better for most trimming work. For finishing off the teeth I've found small craft files to be very good.

scissors.jpg

files.jpg

Thanks for all the advice. I actually bought 300 and 600 grit sandpaper today and a set of needle files.

Here are pictures of my progress so far:

4821601530_6bd553f34a.jpg

Here are the ears. I need to do a bit more sanding to them to make them smoother.

4821602308_6a9664dc18.jpg

And here's what I've done with the face plate so far. I know I still have a lot of trimming to do with both the teeth and eyes.

Am I cutting/trimming the eyes correctly? Are they that deep?

Any and all advice would be appreciated.

Edited by Midnyt17

I didn't do the score-snap technique for the lid and cap. Just use some cutters and blade to get the rough spots and sand it smooth. If you look closely on the lid and cap you can see the outline of were you need to trim.

This the right side

20840_406110525587_580010587_4879777_8291534_n.jpg

And left...Just don't cut it different on one side like I did.

20840_406110530587_580010587_4879778_5429509_n.jpg

Edited by SCtrooper20

I found the ATA a really easy helmet to work with and built it within a couple of hours.

The hips is very easy to cut, using the curved trimming scissors as shown by Rich above. The score and snap technique will make the plastic chin at the edge if you dont do it the right way. Best to lightly run your blade where you want to make the cut and keep doing so until the plastic snaps on its own. Dont try to force the cut through, let the knife do the work.

Here it is after assembly.

Helmets053.jpg

Helmets054.jpg

the eyes look a lot better now, maybe cut a little more on the outer edges on both eyes - the teeth need much more trimming, don't be shy! ;)

Look at Mark's lid there for inspiration!

Edited by R2Dan

I just spent the whole day trimming the cap n' back with just an Xacto knife and a pair of cheap paper scissors. My hand and fingers feel like they're gonna fall off.

First thing tomorrow I'm buying either lexan scissors or anything similar before I even touch my kit again. I still have the bottom of the face plate & teeth before I start drilling and putting things together.

I'll post pics tomorrow.

Thanks for all the advice. Will work on the eyes a little bit more and I'll try and be more confident with trimming the teeth.

BTW, what do you guys do about little mistakes/cuts that you make whenever your Xacto knife slips a little? I have a couple and I've sanded them down but is there anything else I should do? I'm painting the helmet later on so I think that should hide all my mistakes.

If you look at my second pic I over trimmed one of the teeth cut outs. After paint you don't really notice so don't worry. The real stuff looks rubbish up close, so it all adds to the flavour.

Great progress Martin! :duim:

I agree with the teeth. they do need to get trimmed more.

this is the site i used for making my bucket:

I based mine on the Set for Stun or STS variant.

http://www.starwarshelmets.com/original-ANH-Stunt-Stormtrooper-armor-helmets.htm

The choice of course is still yours :)

Can't wait for more progress pics. keep em coming!

If you look at my second pic I over trimmed one of the teeth cut outs. After paint you don't really notice so don't worry. The real stuff looks rubbish up close, so it all adds to the flavour.

A little roughness never hurt.....mine has got some. When people ask.......its battle damagelaugh.gif

Thanks for the encouragement guys. Will try and be more confident and let go of the little mistakes that I make.

Great progress Martin! :duim:

I agree with the teeth. they do need to get trimmed more.

this is the site i used for making my bucket:

I based mine on the Set for Stun or STS variant.

http://www.starwarshelmets.com/original-ANH-Stunt-Stormtrooper-armor-helmets.htm

The choice of course is still yours :)

Can't wait for more progress pics. keep em coming!

Thanks Luis. I'm not really trying to do any specific style except for an ANH Stunt style. I don't want to attempt a specific style and end up being wrong. :lol:

Will keep posting pics of my build as I go.