Where to order snaps (press studs)?

Hi all!

Is there a seller for press studs here? I'm thinking about converting my FX TK from Velcro to snaps, so I'd need some heavy duty snaps.

Thing is, I can't try to find a store for this in US, cos I will be arriving on the vessel that I work on, and we don't have any time for shopping. Other than Wal-Mart once in a while. Normally I order my things here and have them shipped to the port that we call.

Thanks in advance!

Tom of Finland (Thailand)

Edited by TomBangkok

Hi all!

Is there a seller for press studs here? I'm thinking about converting my FX TK from Velcro to snaps, so I'd need some heavy duty snaps.

Thing is, I can't try to find a store for this in US, cos I will be arriving on the vessel that I work on, and we don't have any time for shopping. Other than Wal-Mart once in a while. Normally I order my things here and have them shipped to the port that we call.

Thanks in advance!

Tom of Finland (Thailand)

Tandy Leather makes them, you want line 24 size - they work really good for snap plates.

By coincidence, I have a set of 100 extra line 24 snaps if for some reason you don't want to buy them from Tandy. I ordered 100 which was all I needed, but they goofed and sent me another 100 and billed me too! I was going to return them, but if you want to buy some here - I could sell you a set for your conversion.

There is a Tandy Leather store in Baltimore - it's where I got my snaps from. Of course they'll ship, but if you're going to be making a port call in Baltimore, you may as well pick them up yourself. ;)

http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/

Tandy Leather #116 - BALTIMORE-116

Manager: Casey Lenker

baltimore@tandyleather.com

132 Eastern Blvd

Essex , MD 21221

USA

Phone: 410-780-9699

Fax: 410-780-5973

Toll Free: 866-663-1494

As for tools, the best tool for the job is a snap placement tool (aka vario pliers), I got mine from JoAnn Fabrics.

http://forum.whitearmor.net/index.php?showtopic=11760

I use dritz heavy duty snaps and they work great too. You can get them at hobby lobby, jo-ann and similar stores. Make sure to get one that comes with the install tool. I found that the pliers work great as long as the snap will be placed close to an edge. For instance, I placed snaps for my belt on my torso, and they were too far into the torso to use the gun so I had to use the kit that comes with a setter and a pin that you hammer in place.

--------

There are links to the other tools used on that page as well, hope it helps!

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

Make sure to get one that comes with the install tool. I found that the pliers work great as long as the snap will be placed close to an edge. For instance, I placed snaps for my belt on my torso, and they were too far into the torso to use the gun so I had to use the kit that comes with a setter and a pin that you hammer in place.

I had the same experience. You really should have both setting tools on hand.

The pliers make for quick work and less do-overs in terms of poorly-set snaps, but there are places (like where the belt attaches to the torso) that they cannot reach, in which case you'll have to use the old-fashioned hammer/pin/setter method.

There is a Tandy Leather store in Baltimore - it's where I got my snaps from. Of course they'll ship, but if you're going to be making a port call in Baltimore, you may as well pick them up yourself. ;)

http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/

Tandy Leather #116 - BALTIMORE-116

Manager: Casey Lenker

baltimore@tandyleather.com

132 Eastern Blvd

Essex , MD 21221

USA

Phone: 410-780-9699

Fax: 410-780-5973

Toll Free: 866-663-1494

As for tools, the best tool for the job is a snap placement tool (aka vario pliers), I got mine from JoAnn Fabrics.

http://forum.whitearmor.net/index.php?showtopic=11760

Thanks, but I'm afraid I still have to order.

The only transportation we have from the port is with some van that take the crew to the White March mall and back. No detours. Taxi can't enter the port without a TWIX card. Going ashore is a real hustle for us foreign sailors, so I'll be sitting onboard waiting for the company agent to bring me the stuff I have ordered.

Tom

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Nickel would be good if you plan to do the visible cod piece snaps and the exposed snap on the right of the ab. If you're making snap plates, about 35 will do.

Im using webbing straps for my suit but it seems the pliers and the hammer tool wont punch the snap straight through the strap. Do most people end up using elastic straps as opposed to webbing? If using webbing, has anyone tried punching holes first with a punch tool? i wasnt sure it would punch through webbing.

Any input would be great. I am thinking i will probably switch over to 2" wide elastic straps from now on.

Edited by sith_241

I use a rivet to drive a hole through webbing/fabric/elastic, then I place the snap stud onto the rivet pin and push that assembly

back though the part. the rivet pin acts as a guide for the snap stud to travel through the fabric/elastic.

then with the stud set, I apply the pliars and the cap and clamp them together.

You should be able to strap everything with elastic. Its more flexible than webbing.

Yeah, i think i am going to scrap all the straps ive done on the ab/kidney section and re-do it all with elastic. Fortunatly, i have not done the shoulders and chest yet so not a big deal. Maybe 8-10 short straps to trash.

Im using webbing straps for my suit but it seems the pliers and the hammer tool wont punch the snap straight through the strap. Do most people end up using elastic straps as opposed to webbing? If using webbing, has anyone tried punching holes first with a punch tool? i wasnt sure it would punch through webbing.

Any input would be great. I am thinking i will probably switch over to 2" wide elastic straps from now on.

Try using a "pick" or a "punch" of the same diameter. I think the pick would work better. :)