tkrestonva's AM armor build[*AM]

tkrestonva

Howdy, Brian!!

This is a fantastic build!! I'm in need of replacing my PT kit (got it before I knew ANYTHING about recasting - and trooped it right into the ground), and am RE-Building a fellow Squad Mate's AM Kit; almost completely dismantling it. I'll be using this thread as a guide, the goal is to to build with Centurion in mind, though it may take a few replacements or mods to meet those requirements.

I was wondering though:

How did the FRS experiments pan out?

Any brand you recommend?

Did you get a magnetic reed switch for your bucket?

Is there a solution for micing-up a whole squad of troopers in this manner to make communication at large events even easier?

Thanks!!

- Berban

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good thing I happen to be on right now when I should be working ... :)

The FRS was a mixed bag, and it was basically my attempt to replicate the UKG's TrooperComm system but using commonly available and easy to install/configure hardware.

On the one hand, being able to communicate remotely with home base, other troopers, and even my wife while me and my team are out on "patrol" is awesome. On the other hand, you have to choose your assigned frequency very carefully in order to find a clear channel, as the FRS bands are very popular with families, building maintenance personnnel, etc. Also, the way I did it (earbud with the line running to my backplate and a mic/thumbswitch under my chestplate) might not work for everyone, but is easily replicable for any group of troopers who want to try it out.

As far as brand goes, I don't have the radios in front of me but I picked up the least expensive I could find at Radio Shack. Motorola - something. They were around $20 each, with the earbuds being about $15 each. Thing is, low cost = low power, so they have somewhat limited range in a real-life environment (the max range claims on the box I believe apply to an unobstructed view and radio-quiet environment). Had I gone with more expensive radios I may have gotten improved performance.

I haven't pursued the magnetic switch as the system I rigged up seemed to work (for me), but I may still do so at some point.

I've made minor tweaks since I last updated this thread (removed the return edges from the wrist and ankles, tapered the wrists, etc.) so I should probably post some updates.

Thanks, Brian!!

That's very good to know. I'm thinking that by this coming Halloween and the Annual ACS of San Antonio Boo Bash, I'd like to have at least a couple of us wired up in such a manner.

And I'd greatly appreciate seeing the tweaks as well!! After this ESB Build, I plan on fine tuning it and submitting...

- Berbs

Hey Brian, would you be kind enough to post some detail/close-up pics of the interior of your armor (chest/ab, back/kidney/butt) please, when you get a chance?

Edited by Evilboy