ID-1226's SE sandy project

ooookay... I figured my "custom helmet sculpt" topic no longer reflects the content, as the project evolved into a full, themed armor project. As my bucket seems to have a ROTJ feel to it, and as my home-made fiberglass armor needed weathering to hide its less-than-perfect finish, I went for the Special Edition sandtrooper look...

Here's how it looks like so far:

dsc_0301.jpg

dsc_0306.jpg

dsc_0311.jpg

dsc_0327.jpg

dsc_0343.jpg

Comments, anyone? I'm pondering turning the control panel on the abdomen upside down, but would there be anything else I should do?

I'm definitely replacing the legs, the belt and even the forearms. And ordering proper boots :)

Actually the 'ammo belt' and the drop boxes are about to arrive bundled with my new legs and belt.

Why am I getting new legs?

I think fiberglass just doesn't realy work for legs... to be strong enough, it has to be thick, when its thick, it's highly uncomfortable, heavy, stiff, and it bites... I have 'armor bite' marks on the front of both my legs, and on the back of both my legs... 4 places in total, not counting those on the inner side of my elbows... That's after some 3 hours of trooping today ;(

dsc0082fo0.jpg

When I get those parts, I'd say the armor will be pretty much complete. I won't get or build my backack yet, though - my wife and I are moving to Canada in about half a year, it would be rather silly to invest in one if we wouldn't really be able to take it with us. Once there - sure :)

It says "Imperial stormtroopers from Star Wars provided security for the event" - actually we just dropped in to oogle cars at a motorshow for a moment :lol:

untitled2kc7.jpg

Hehe , you went to a Motor show in armour ? Nice work ! And lets face it , we are always on duty ;)

LOL! No no, we just happened to visit spontaneously while trooping casually... it's the "City Days" week here in Bialystok City, the city just... you know... celebrates - all sorts of fairs, happenings, art displays, sports and entertainment events. Meaning it's THE week for us to come out of hiding. And of course with all the stuff going on, we're bound to accidentally walk into the middle of some event :D

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a little update - new legs and other misc. parts from TK-560 (IMHO, they're excellent!). Thanks a lot, Jim! :peace:

dsc0499gl4.jpg

dsc0437ft1.jpg

Even though they're a close fit with almost no gaps, I can move more freely than with my previous fiberglass attempt. I'm most happy with the new legs. The only problem I have is glueing. The velcros on the left shin, the shim on the left thigh, and the velcro on the right thigh all came off near the end of today's trooping session. I need a better glue :(

Dumb question...

How long did you let the velcro "set" before you went of gallavanting? ^_^

same thing happened with my shins the first time, put the velcro and when test trooping..... then i had to remove sticky guck, clean and replace, let it "SET" FOR 24 HOURS, didnt happen again.

Just a thought

It was way over 24 hours. Wrong glue, that's all... No more two ingridient mixtures, I've found a dedicated glue for hard plastics such as ABS or Styrene - it melts and fuses them together much like superglue does soft plastics, for example those on plastic model kits. It should arrive tomorrow or the day after, and I'll have the packet from CABoots in about a week or two... then my trooper will be more or less complete :)