Helmet Lenses

I'm going to be working on a helmet kit soon and I was wondering how everyone attached the lenses to the bucket.

So, how did you attach your lenses to your bucket?

Links to build threads/pics would be great.

Thanks guys!

I use a welders shield and attach the strip to the inside screws holding the ears. I cut out the nose area so it wont rub.

Ditto.

Had this in my last couple of lids and it works very well.

Added advantage is you do not get a complete seal all around the eye apature thus allowing enough ventilation to prevent misting.

I'm also using a welder's shield, but I use velcro to hold the lens strip in place. I trim the shield down to fit without rubbing into the screws fro the ears and put the hooks side of the velcro on the lens and the soft part of the velcro on the helmet.

• Like 1

Thanks for all your replies guys. It was really a big ??? for me. I like the welder's shield method & the plumber's putty + screws method. I'll see if I can get a right sized/colored welder's shield. If not, I'll go for the plumber's putty way. Another question though, how did you put screw holes into the lenses? I feel like they'd crack with an electric hand drill.

Take a welders shield. Just below the mounting holes score a horizontal line from one side to the other using a ruler and an exacto knife. Measure about 2.75 to 3 inches down from that line and score another horizontal line from one side to the other using a ruler. Bend and snap the lens - its easy. Now that you have the lens, hold it with four fingers against the inside of your helmet right between the eyes. Make sure that its seated against the eyes firmly. While applying this pressure, lay the helmet down on its side and mark the inside of the shield with a sharpie where the left ear screws are. Remove the lens from the helmet and lay it on a flat surface or drill press. Take care not to scratch the lens. Take an electric drill and drill out those screw holes on the left side. Now fit the lens inside the helmet again. This time push the lens into the eye sockets by applying pressure from the right side. The lens will distort a little. While the pressure is applied, mark the right side ear screws. Remove the lens again and drill the right side. Now fit the lens inside the helmet by slipping it onto the screws. The tight fit will hold it in place. Take 4 nuts the same size as the ones used for the ears and secure the lens onto the the ear screws. Thats it. If you wanna get fancy take a sharpie and draw a cut out for your nose on the lens and then cut that out with a pair of short sharp scissors or exacto knife.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the tips and links guys. I really appreciate it. I'm slowly getting 100% ready for my bucket kit. Our local hardware stores aren't generously stocked so finding things like clamps, glue, paint, etc are a real pain so getting as much information on the different ways to do things like attaching lenses are a real help.