first suit, need help!

so far, i have all armor pieces, Velcro, mic tips, mesh screening, and the decals. i do have a small book that gives me step by step instructions on how to go on with this armor, im just curious on what kind of glue that i need, what velcro brands are suggested, stuff like that....ANY kind of tips would be appreciated!

Glue: E6000

Velcro: Industrial strength

Both can be found in quantity at WalMart, Home Depot, etc.

- What kind of kit do you have?

Don't assemble the kit with velcro only like the manual says, you'll want to make straps that have snaps on the end of them so that all of your connections are much stronger.

You are going to need a lot of snaps, so don't get the packs with only 6-10 snaps in them from your local craft store, they are extremely overpriced that way and it will cost you a fortune since you'll have to buy so many packages of them. I'd suggest ordering a bag of 50 or 100 from Tandy leather.

The only places I used industrial strength velcro were on the backs of my thigh and calves to get in and out of them, on the back of the belt to open and close it and on the backs of the ribbed shoulder pieces to attach them to the back piece.

By the way, I was never able to find E6000 locally, but another garrison member suggested using Goop which is exactly the same thing, and was a lot easier to find in stores.

Edited by bluehickey

ok, and whats perfered inside the helmet? the guide says a constrution helmet would work, and the guy i bought this from says he personally uses foam. whats a good standard?

I could never get that hard hat liner to successfully stay glued in, so I just bought some foam, cut it in a ring shape and shoved it in and it works perfectly and of course is very comfortable.

Use the E6000 glue. I found mine at Walmart. I also seen it at Michaels Craft Store. The tube at Michaels was a lil larger in size. I used one tube & had plenty left over to do my wife's slave bikini. When you buy the velcro,make sure it say's INDUSTRIAL STRENGTH Velcro. My local Walmart only had Ind Stg Velcro in black. I was able to find white Ind Stg at Lowes. It was a lil expensive at $28 a box. I have also seen it a fabric stores by the foot. this way is even more expensive than buying the box at Lowes. For the snaps your going to want to use size 24 snaps. You can find these at any fabric store. Walamrt may have them as well, but I've only seen the smaller snaps there. Or you can get them in black from Tandy Leather. I got mine on sale fairly cheap in a large bag.

For the glue- Lay down a light bead of glue on both parts to be glued. Spread flat with a popsicle stick, let stand a couple mins & then press together & clamp tight.

Go with Chunk and get your E-6000 at Wallmart. Cheapest price from what I seen. My local Joanns stocks it at around 6.50 along with all other major stores (Fred myers, Michaels, Home Depot...) Walmart last I say I believe it was 3.86 or 4.86 something like that, I just know its like a buck or two cheaper. Same with Snaps which your going to need. For a set of line 24 snaps (8 of them with the tools thingy) is like 3.36 or so while Joann's and Craft Marts was about $5 for 8 without the tools =/. But beware, NOT ALL Walmarts carry same stock. I found that my local one about 3 miles from my homes doesn't carry snaps at all and the next closet one, about 20 miles does. =/

Good luck on your FX build, looking foward to reading it.

Cheers,

Quinn

• 2 weeks later...

ok, we (myself and my father) have started on the helmet...but we are having trouble with the helmet, it seems like it is held together by only two screws on opposite sides of the helmet...is this enough to hold it together? dose it need reinforced? (this is a FX set) also, my kit came with a book of directions, saying that the armor has dimples where it should be screwed in, i see nothing, so im trying to tape it together to try and see where the screws would go best...if anybody has advice before i start drilling, please! let me know