Built to troop in-what is trooping?

I've read a number of posts where new members ask the common question concerning the durability of the various kits.

"Is it strong enough to troop in?"

What is "trooping"?

Based on my experience in this hobby for the past three years(14 months of which have been a member of the 501st) "trooping" has been for the most part simply posing(for pictures)in my armor in public at conventions, fund-raising events & concerts. I may have walked my share of long distances through convention centers and halls, climbed up a flight of stairs or walked around a city block but I have never had to sprint, jump in the air or roll on the ground in armor.

Taking into consideration the crowd that you'll be around is also important. You might wanna stay away from crowds where alcohol is available. I walked through the parking lot of a Oakland Raider game dressed in my TX Blackhole trooper armor . . . not a good idea. There is strength in numbers; have a handler. Remember you're vulnerable and can't see everything that's going on with a helmet on.

ABS vs. HIPS . . . for me it all amounts to how well the kit is assembled. Using the right combination of strapping, rivets, snaps, velcro, etc. Trimming the armor to fit you right. Being comfortable in it and knowing your limits as far as movement.

An armor kit will last for a good amount of time if you take care of it. Don't leave it in the trunk of your car or outside on a ninety degree day. Properly store it after each troop. Clean it if you want to. I remember hearing a story of someone who discovered a bad case of fungus growing on an abandoned sweaty set of armor. Yuck! Get a nice big plastic tote or crate to keep it safe in. Some people keep it in the cardboard box it came in kit form in. Whatever works for you, just take care of it. Like most people i don't have money to burn or waste. Choosing to purchase a quality set of Stormtrooper armor for me was decided after tons of research online and talking to fellow 501st members and saving money.

I wish you all happy & safe trooping!

It's true, 'trooping' really isn't that strenuous on your armor at all. The hardest thing I do in my armor is walk and occasionally bend over. I get all of my black scuff marks on my armor at events where I have to stand close to a TIE pilot, and his armor touches mine. It's a rather silly way to get that used trooper look!

Being one these new people who has asked this very question I find what you have said to be very interesting. i was never entirely certain what goes on during troops and now that I do I can reconsider what armor to get for my first set.

I know this is off topic but maybe you guys can help me here. How difficult is it to put together ABS armor, example that I'm looking at is AM armor, versus HIPS armor. The thing I really am curious about is how hard it is to trim the armor to fit me, especially AM/FX armor since it looks like that is what I will be getting. Also is there any helmets out there besides FX that is made from ABS that is affordable?

Thanks guys.

I think for most 'trooping' HIPS armor has been fine for me. Parades, standing around, etc. It's when there is heavy action that I worry. Some things I won't try in my TE2 (or any HIPS) that I was fine doing in my FX (ABS).

1. Sitting down on a bench/chair.

2. Playing a few downs of football against Biker Scouts

3. Any real running/jumping

4. Strapping my thighs to my ab plate

To me it's really the ab plate / butt plate that I worry about and the only two pieces that have ever torn (two ab plates). In hindsight if I had coated the inside with something that would prevent tearing or if the ab plate was thicker HIPS then I'd be more willing to be aggressive with the TE2.

However given how cheap replacement ab plates are, one could argue that in hindsight I should just have bought a spare or two in advance as well. It's a small thing to swap out really.

Any armour i own has to be tough, and built to last some tough activities...

Climbing laders..

MarieCurieAdseil049.thumb.jpg.749a18e751616298e82a632da031ce42.jpg

Edited by gmrhodes13
photo updated