ATA Bucket w/ FX/AM Armor

Hi guys,

I'm in the process of getting myself an FX/AM kit. But I want to use a different helmet than the one included in the FX/AM kit. Our GML recommended I get an ATA helm. Would an ATA helm go well with the FX/AM kit? Has anyone done this combination before? How did it go? Any pictures?

Lastly, can anyone PM me the contact info for ATA. I have the one for FX/AM but not ATA. Thanks a lot.

Hi guys,

I'm in the process of getting myself an FX/AM kit. But I want to use a different helmet than the one included in the FX/AM kit. Our GML recommended I get an ATA helm. Would an ATA helm go well with the FX/AM kit? Has anyone done this combination before? How did it go? Any pictures?

Lastly, can anyone PM me the contact info for ATA. I have the one for FX/AM but not ATA. Thanks a lot.

The only thing that would not match with that armor & helmet combo is that the armor would be ABS and ATA's helmets are made of HIPS. So you would have to paint the helmet. Painting to match the gloss of ABS is not impossible but it is a challenge. My helmet is super glossy for being painted. I polished it with some cutting compound and micro fiber polishing cloths.

Hey Daniel,

Thanks for the info. I'll have to look into that. Wouldn't want to end up with a super shiny bucket. I'm not a very "crafty" person so I have very little experience with painting, etc but I'm up for the challenge as long as I have the right guidance.

• 2 months later...

i went and had my mrce lid sprayed at a car body repair shop. i gave them a forearm from my fx suit to colour match, i now have a very white shiny lid and shiny abs armour that doesnt match (apart from its white) and they told me they scanned the colour from the forearm to match it. I was gutted but lots of people here pointed out that lots of suits and lids dont match in anh so now im not so worried. Hope it helps

Garreth

Well, there is no silver bullet really. Even if you got an ABS helmet it's no guarantee that it will perfectly match. The MRCE certainly doesn't match ABS armor (worse than AP/RT IMHO) but that doesn't stop folks from wearing them. For painting, if you're going to have the body shop paint the lid you may as well just paint the whole kit, no? Not sure what that costs, but I'd be surprised it if were much more.

It's far easier for sandtroopers - I've seen TE2 on FX armor and you can't tell at all - weathering is a great equalizer.

In the end pick a bucket that you thinks works best - it's your kit/happiness after all.

Thanks guys. I guess the best thing to do is to NOT paint my bucket until I get my AM kit so I can try out paints to match before I seal the deal and paint the ATA.

I was just hoping someone had accomplished an almost perfect match and lead me to the brand and type of paint that they used.

I'm about to attempt this. I have an AP lid and Am kit and i will be trying to paint the lid. AM Abs is a "warm white" but Ap is a cool white. I'm going to try some various shades of white.

Awesome! Looking forward to your always great work. I'm sure pretty sure you'll get an almost perfect if not perfect match. If you could post pics that would be great!

• 2 weeks later...
Does anybody have any advice on the best type of paint to use on an ATA bucket to best match the ABS of the AM kit. Has anyone done this before?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Martin, FWIW... this is my AM armor kit with a Kev's 2.5 ANH bucket that I painted with Rustoleum High Performance Gloss White paint. I think that they matched up rather well. :)

-----------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2021