Plastic for TK

Hey everyone! I don't know if this is the appropriate place to put this out there, but i work at a plastics factory. I've been here for over 20 years and my boss knows my love of Star Wars. He has said repeatly that if i can make the molds, then i can use our industrial vac former and the plastic here for free. To make myself a kit. Even gave our mold maker permission to work on molds at work. But our mold maker doesn't like Star Wars, so it probably will never happen. Soooo, i was wondering if anyone was willing to do some pulls for me if i was to supply the plastic and ship it to them out of my own pocket?

Thanks for your time,

Andy Romero

DZ-7244

Dune Sea Garrison

So are you asking for armor that's been pulled but not trimmed in order to make a buck, or asking to borrow someone's bucks?

Either way, you're recasting someone's armor and if it's not with their blessing, that's considered a no-no in the costume community (especially if you intend on selling it).

You have access to a commercial vacuformer which is great, but the best way to make your own armor is to make your own molds by sculpting it yourself. Recasting will lead to a lot of drama, and you don't want to go there.

There's a good amount of info online on how to make your own molds.

If you're asking someone to pull plastic for you, you sending them plastic is not going to save much cost, and most armorers wouldn't likely do that anyways since they might have high standards for the plastic they choose to use.

If you're asking someone to pull plastic for you, you sending them plastic is not going to save much cost, and most armorers wouldn't likely do that anyways since they might have high standards for the plastic they choose to use.

Yes that was my question, just trying to see if it was easier and cheaper to send plastic to someone willing to make a kit for me to make my first TK. I work for Central Plastic and Rubber Co. who has been around since 1960. My boss has contacts to get me the highest quality HIPS & ABS. I just don't have the skill to make molds on my own, or i would already have made it for myself. I have heard about this recasting stuff, and i would never do that. Just trying to figure out the best way to get my own kit without shelling out over $500 for something that i see everyday at work. It is frustrating. It seems that i keep hitting a wall with this and i just thought it would be a good idea to ask you guys what i should do. I figured it would be kind of dumb to spend that much on something that is just setting on the shelves here at work, you know?

Thanks for the input,

Andy Romero

Edited by romero4444

To be honest, you can get good armor for about that price, and some armor is even less. AND you can get it from reputable dealers.

FX, ATA, and AM armor fall roughly within that price range. I would suggest looking at the various build threads and see which ones you like, and approach the sellers directly, not on Ebay, etc.. Most reputable sellers (mentioned) are on FISD.

You could also look into used kits that people are personally selling, and upgrading. They may sell their older assembled armor for cheaper.

Again, just shipping plastic to armor makers isn't going to make your project cheaper. Remember, you buying armor supports those that support the hobby, so trying to short cut that isn't the best way to approach it.

OH, and "want to buy" threads for armor are not allowed on most forums. Contact should be made via PM or e-mail, as there are certain legalities, LFL, conduct to respect.

Ok, got you. Thanks for letting me know about the ins and outs of getting my own set of armor. I didn't want to step on any toes or come off as stupid. Is there somewhere on the forums i should post for help in making my own molds or help getting started? Cause a full set of armor for me to make by hand here at work would only cost me time and maybe $50.

Thanks

Searching FISD, and Google is your friend as is Youtube :)

-----------

The Dented Helmet and RPF (replica prop forum) are also good sources. Check with your Garrison too, as they may have more info locally for you.

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

Your best bet on armor is ATA. Not as expensive as the rest but just as good. Just remember you arent just paying for plastic, your paying for someones time and effort to make sure you get a good looking set of armor.

Welcome to the FISD!

you could sculpt your own armor.

you could use the measurements of a kit.

soon there will be detailed measurements online here if you wanted to try your hand

at making some of your own bucks from photos and measurements.