Help with leg assembly

Hello All,

Im kinda new here & not sure if I posted in the right place. I have a FX kit that I bouhgt 3yrs ago. It came all trimied & ready to assemble. I need help with the legs. I want to glue the front seam. Im going to have to make shims for the rear, but I wanted to use velcro to secure the back. My question is...Do I put ABS glue on both sides? I don't want to use too much glue as I heard too much could ruin the outer finish. I have deep clamps that will hold the middle together & spring clamps for closer to the openings.

This is what I want to do, tell me if Im on the right track before I beguin. I want to mask off the outer part of the armor leaving only the area to be glued. I'll apply glue & clamp together. Im just not sure if I should apply glue to both parts or just one side. Your help is greatly appreciated....Joe

Personally, I like to use E6000 glue rather than ABS glue. Much longer working time before joining surfaces, this gives you more time to align things, tape it in position, then clamp it, etc..

If you're doing an overlap join with E-6000, spread some on both surfaces, and then let them sit for a couple mins before joining, then clamp them.

You shouldn't need to velcro the back of the thighs. The back of the shins you can velcro.

Make sure you have the overlap seams facing the right way!

----------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

I heard alot about this E6000 glue. Is this a Brand Name or is it a certain kind of glue? Will the package say E6000 on it? As for my theighs I need to make shims for those too. A few years of teaching karate gave me some nice legs or so my wife says :dancing-trooper:

http://www.beadpeddler.com/e6000.jpg------------

You can get this stuff in most places. Joanns, Michaels, Home Depot & Lowes. As Panda says, works great, its flexible, strong hold. :duim:

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

*BTW: I moved this topic to the "assembly" forum rather than tips (as that's saved for actual tips, not so much questions about assembly).

My first "moderator" attempt. Thank god FISD didn't implode. :)

Thanks Panda,

I have a Lowes at the end of my street. Pics always make for a better understanding. Is this stuff thick? How should I apply it? Small bead or dabs & spread on both sides? I'm off to Lowes right now for some & I might as well get some more blue painters tape. I can't find mine.

Edited by Chunk

Sand both surfaces, clean off the dust. Lay down a "squeeze" of glue the same width at of the tip of the tube. Then use a popsicle stick or whatever to spread it evenly over the area you want to bond. Do NOT spread it right to edge, leave about 1/8" space at the edges so that the glue can spread a bit once compressed. If it's a big area I like to apply some masking tape to mask off areas I don't want the glue to spread. After it's cured, i can trim the glue off with a razor blade. Apply E6000 to both surfaces, wait a couple mins, then clamp. Let cure overnight.

Ok, stupid question, Where do I get E6000 glue? I went to Lowes, Home Depot, & Walmart. No one knew what I was talking about. Closest thing I found was a Marine Adhesive 5200. Its getting late, so I'll try Michaels tomorrow.

Thanks for the info. Michales has a Walmart in the next lot over. Will check there 1st. I was so close. I was in the craft section of Walmart looking for popsicle sticks, not the glue. :6: