AM Shadowtrooper Build

Not sure if i'm posting this in the right spot since there's no real designated place for this type of trooper. But I finally got the "brown box of goodies" about 2 weeks ago. I've been working on it on and off since then, with the help of my son (Vader Rocks), so I thought i'd share my progress with you all.

IMG_0839_zpsf725cdb0.jpg

The biceps and forearms we finished last weekend. The person I got it from had already started trimming and assembling the forearms, but we had to disassemble and pretty much redo.

IMG_0815_zps0256dc1b.jpg

The thighs and shins we have set up to cure for the evening.

IMG_0838_zps42827b17.jpg

Hey JimB,

What's happening?!!! :) Your armor is looking good... so SHINY!

Keep plugging along and you'll be suited up in no time. :)

Congrats on your box of goodies and your armor build progress!

It was great seeing ya on Saturday. Thanks for being our handler

and combat photographer. I'll have to be your handler/photographer

when you get your armor done. ttyl! Jenny

Hi Jim! Your progress is going by really well it looks pretty good so far. Can't wait to see it all finished up. Keep up the good work and you'll be done in no time!

Remember to ask any questions if you're unsure of things, don't want to make any mistakes now. :duim:

Karl

I was working on fitting the thighs and shins today and ran into a bit of a snag.

The shins keep riding up on the boots to the point where they come up over the top of the boot. Does anyone know of a solution for that to stop happening? Also what is the standard for how high on the knee they should be? I want to be sure before I begin cutting.

On the thighs it looks like a lot (almost 3 to 4 inches) needs to be cut off the top, but before I do I wanted to make sure I am measuring correctly. Where should the top of the thigh go to and how far down on the knee should it go?

Thanks.

I was working on fitting the thighs and shins today and ran into a bit of a snag.

The shins keep riding up on the boots to the point where they come up over the top of the boot. Does anyone know of a solution for that to stop happening? Also what is the standard for how high on the knee they should be? I want to be sure before I begin cutting.

On the thighs it looks like a lot (almost 3 to 4 inches) needs to be cut off the top, but before I do I wanted to make sure I am measuring correctly. Where should the top of the thigh go to and how far down on the knee should it go?

Thanks.

How tall are you Jimb?

Taking 3-4 inches from the top of AM thighs seems a bit extreme.

Also, if you do this, you will loose the arc shapes and return edges.

I would only cut, after you have posted up pics of the problem an discussed with previous builders, especially of AM and preferably of similar dimensions.

AM armour was designed for the larger trooper frame size, if you are not of this frame size, then I have to question your use of AM armour.

With regards to your question about shin rising up over your boot, I can give three suggestions.

1. Add a industrial Velcro patch to the outside front of your boot, and one to the inside of your shins.

2. add a popper to your boot with elastic to your Shin to keep them together.

3. Use a tighter method at the rear of your shins to close your shins around the boot.

Again, you need to show pics of your problem.

Good luck

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks.

I know that what the thighs look like - but once you taper the back and take them in and realize where your bet / cod piece is at it will make more sense. I'm 6'2 and did not have to trim at all - even though I thought I would have to take an inch off. Fit it with the cod piece and taper - then decide - how tall are you?

Edited by lostin480

My husband has an AM TX and he had the same problem. He fixed it with black elastic stirrups from either side of the ankle to under the arch of the boot. Doesn't show at all and also stops the shin from twisting if you are having that problem too. I have also seen Velcro on the back of the boot and the bottom of the calf but it didn't seem as effective.

Thanks for all the good advice, everyone. I won't be able to work on it again for another couple of weeks but will keep you up to date when I get going again. I have signed up with Special Ops as well, Lisa, and got some good feedback there too.