AP Helmet build[*AP]

Honestly, it was too pale for me, and seemed to have a slight grey tint to it. Even after polishing, I think it would have looked better had I painted it a bright white. It might not be as accurate as a real helmet, but I think it looks better (so far anyways).

Anyone know if I can put down the decals and then spray a gloss coat over them? Or should I spray the gloss first and then put the decals on? The Gloss could put a nice layer of protection, but could messup the decals...

Fixed the teeth and almost done with the chin, finishing ears too. Plan is to have everything built by Sunday night for a car show (matches the car ;) ), then sanding at 1500 before a gloss coat.

Anyone know if I can put down the decals and then spray a gloss coat over them? Or should I spray the gloss first and then put the decals on? The Gloss could put a nice layer of protection, but could messup the decals...

Looks good! If you're looking to place a protective gloss over the decals, do that after they're positioned. I wouldn't know what you would use though, cause I didn't do that on mine. Looking into the long term it's probably a good idea. When you place the decals on first, spray a light coating of windex on the helmet. It'll allow you to position them where you want before they set. Have an x-acto knife handy. I did each stripe one at a time cause I could never get them all to come off as a group.

Edited by TrooperTim

• 1 month later...

i own an AP helmet as well but i ended up repainting it because i wasnt satisfied with the stickers. Sorry to post pics and all that, but its just sharing ideas of what i did. I do not have a TKID yet but i am trying hard to improve my armor as well >.<

4507092522_9d66a0f73d_o.jpg

Inside - foam padded, stuck on with velcro. removable webbing and lens.

4507093154_a5430de425_o.jpg

Outside - Repainted my teeth, and gold screws painted white

Used to use hot glue but it got messy. Here are pics of the old AP setup i had.

4155256570_77afdaa977_o.jpg

Jagged gray paint because of using masking tape then peeling it off >.<

4154495973_77e1dafaf6_o.jpg

Snaps to snap on lens, sticky foam to check how much padding i needed (wore these for like 5 months)

4155256664_6728d0cfaa_o.jpg

Simple snap on lens, in case i need replacements or cleaning =)