Helmet Assembly help

TK-7980

I swear one of the sides of the cap and back is longer than the other. but if I trim it i'll be trimming it too short and the helmet will be too small or look warped.

If I trim the brow more the traps on the foreheads will look more like a rhombus or something.

I thought it was fine but the dang ring is just out of whack and I don't think the ears covering it will fix it.

Should any part of the Cap and Back angle UPWARDS at the tubes? Because it sure didn't on the CAP W I assembled.

UeH1pGz.jpg

pemuzeF.jpg

cVa37ji.jpg

Ix8ApaD.jpg

Ugh, I've only got my AP to compare to, but it looks like your cap and back was trimmed too short on that side. What kit is this lid from? Sorry I can't offer too much help on this one.

Hey Alex to me it looks like you might have to lean the ears forward to get the back and face to work.

Like the this screen used lid:

JFWnKuV.jpg

WABsxd9.jpg

Here is where the cut line looks to need to be.

4GJslv3.jpg

Also you might need to trim the sides of the faceplate as well.

First take a couple of small spring clamps and clamp the faceplate to the cap at the brow.

This will allow you to do any adjustment and to see what needs trimming.

Then you can mark each side with pencil, what you think needs to be cut. Trim a little at a time, you can always trim more but you cannot put it back.

Hope it helps.

this might be a little bit off topic. but did this kit come with a single page instruction?

i bought a kit today and im trying to figure out what kind of kit i bought. the guy said he bought it years ago and doesn't remember. when i look at your pictures, it looks very identical to yours.

I don't know why it never occurred to me to trim that side. :|

It was staring me right in the face... :wacko:

I would be very careful about testing the ears and how they fit before you cut the back that much. Just draw a pencil line of where you think the cut would be, and trim some of the ears down and test fit them, before you cut the back. Once you cut, you can't go back.

You might also find that the cheek tubes on the back are very shallow (they don't have a lot of undercut) and the neck trim might not cover the gap left by the shallowness. Hard to describe, I'll see if I can find a picture. I think when these lids are made, the cheek tubes on the back are cut a little too high.

Just test fit as much as you can before cutting. Measure twice, cut once!

Looking at this picture, I think the overlap MIGHT be ok...

You can see on the ring of the helmet a corner like the one created by my helmet due to the cap and back angling a bit upward.

What do you think? Am I just seeing things or is it really there?

post-2292-1264468148_thumb.jpg

Hey Alex, I lightened the image and this is what I see, and I highlighted it in red.

cNha4XT.jpg

Catbread said:
Looking at this picture, I think the overlap MIGHT be ok...

You can see on the ring of the helmet a corner like the one created by my helmet due to the cap and back angling a bit upward.

What do you think? Am I just seeing things or is it really there?

I think you got it there, man.. :duim: Keep up the great work!!!! Can't wait to see it totally together.

2PNTekn.jpg

Need to trim the teeth and do a little paint up and its finished. Theres a bit of space between the helmet and the ears, but it isn't that noticeable and I don't feel it will be a problem.

Thanks for giving me quite a bit of confidence to just go for it, guys.

WOW that was fast!!!! top notch frown Alex!! I see you are doing the rare stunt with 3 teeth per side :salute: Love to see back and side pics too man!