Shooter's AP kit

Hey guys,

Well after 3 months of patiently waiting (well not so much patiently ;) the UPS guy dropped off my AP kit today! I've been going over tutorials religiously over the past few months and even have Stuka's printed out and ready to go. The guys at the Canadian Garrison are having an armour party soon so in addition to you fine fellas, I think I have a pretty good support base for my first build. I'll keep you posted as best I can and will definitely be leveraging you guys for help.

Thanks in advance,

CONGRATS MAN!!!! :dancing-trooper: YaaAAhHH!!!!! :dancing-trooper: You are going to have so much fun!!!!

Here is my two cents worth of advice....

Make a check list to go by.

Have all the tools and glue that you will need. (spring clamps, blue painters tape, etc..)

Have good place to work, lots of light.

Read over the tutorials that Stuka printed for you.

Measure Four times, cut once!!!

Do Not rush your build!

Do not hesitate to post questions. That is what the FISD is all about, Troppers helping Troopers!

Take lots of HD pics, so we all can ooh and ahhh over them.

And Have fun man!!!! that is what it is all about!!! :dancing-trooper:

Hey guys,

So I've finished up my bucket (couldn't resist cracking into that first!) and after a few scary moments, I'm pretty happy with the result. Unsure if I'm content with the height of the brow, but I can always adjust that later. Mic's are keiths and I have the original AP film for the eyes, as soon as my lenses get here from Runnriot I'll swap them out.

One note too for us big headed dudes, I have a big grape (7 1/2) and was worried about the fit. However, I have to say, despite it being a bit snug getting it on, once it's on I find there's lots of room and looks great.

Anyways, here are the pics, have a look and critique/comments always welcome!

post-11342-1264727808_thumb.jpg

post-11342-1264727970_thumb.jpg

post-11342-1264727991_thumb.jpg

post-11342-1264728007_thumb.jpg

Hey Matt, Nice looking TK Head Holder :smiley-sw013:

But I am with Vic, to be more accurate, the brow need to be a little bit higher.

Hey guys,

So I've trimmed the thigh pieces and I'm gonna have to shim the backs due to my tree trunk legs, lol (28.5" around, bigger than my gf's waist ;) So I have a few questions. I was going to up the size of finishing strip on the fronts to 25mm or 30mm, but then I will still have a few inches at the back to close up. The AP finishing strips are about 45mm uncut and that might do it, but I was thinking if I flared out the top it might work a little better.

For EIB status what is the verdict on shimming? and would a flared out finishing strip be acceptable? I've included a sketch in MS Paint (work computer, please forgive the crudeness, lol) to illustrate what I may have to do.

Let me know your thoughts, recommendations.

Thanks!!

post-11342-1265040531_thumb.jpg

Shooter said:
would a flared out finishing strip be acceptable? I've included a sketch in MS Paint (work computer, please forgive the crudeness, lol) to illustrate what I may have to do.

post-11342-1265040531_thumb.jpg

I recommend that you do opiton 1, here is a diagram that I made to show what I would do:

s8tcOf4.jpg

Nvl8UKY.jpg

Edited by gmrhodes13
photos updated gmrhodes13 2021

Hmm, interesting Tom, I never thought of shimming the front, but it might be an option. I think I would want to sacrifice more screen accuracy in the back, then in the front (Like the mullet mentality - business in the front, party in the back ;) but it might not be a bad option.

• 1 month later...

Hey guys, here's an update of the test fit. Need to straighten and raise the belt, as well as raise the thighs. Also need to secure the chest and back and most importantly need to install fans in the buckets as soon as they arrive, man is that hot in there!

Don't mind the Ewok that snuck into one or two of the pics, lol.

Critique and comments always welcome.

-------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2021

Looking very nice!! Good work trooper!

The only small thing I would say is lower the chest slightly so that it overlaps the ab section and doesn't have that "popped out" look where you can see the black spandex underneath. Might need to straighten the shoulder straps slightly to lower it. I know you still need to strap together the back / chest so maybe that will solve it. I'd pull the forearms up a smidge too. Other than that, looks great!

Thanks Terry, you're right the forearms kept sliding down on me, forgot to mention that.

Just heard from Roy and I've just been accepted into the 501st! TK number on the way!