Newbie's New Armor!

My first armor kit came on Wednesday! I never thought I would get to this point. Its such a great feeling opening up that big brown box of goodness! I decided to go ATA and will be doing an ANH stunt. Hopefully I will post up some pics this weekend. I am just trying to figure out where to start (it is a little bit overwhelming haha). I've been in contact with a few guys from the Carolina Garrison and hopefully will be getting together with one of them on tuesday to look at his TE in person and so I can get a feel for how it all should look. He also offered to lend me a hand with getting started on assembly which is awesome as this is my first armor. So I am very excited to get it all put together and will hopefully be able to put of pics of my WIP ASAP! Thanks for all the information and help you guys provided here that got me to this point and of course will help in the building process. I was wondering though if someone could post the link to the TE build that a lot of people reference. I can't think of the name right off the top of my head <_<. Thanks again guys! Watch this space for WIP

Jonathan

WOOHOO !!!!! * while doing the snoopy dace

Very cool man. take your time and enjoy the build, u will only have one "FIRST" build so squeeze every last drop of enjoyment!!!!

and post a gagillion pics and ask away!!!!

Congrats Jon!!!! :dancing-trooper:

I know you felt like a kid at Christmas when you got that BIG brown box!!!!!

The TE is the same as TE2 just new owner and the ATA is from CAP/WEST and TE2 parts.......

So when you get together with the guy that has the TE armor, take a lot of HD pics of his suit to use as a guide. And write down any info that he tell ya!

When you are ready to start you build, make you a check list to work from.

Have all the tools you will need.

Take your time, do not rush you build.

Have good place to work in (lots of room and good lighting)

Take lots of pics and have fun man!!!!

Tom :salute:

Hey Jon,

The easiest way to post pics on here is to use Photobucket.com and upload your pics there. Then copy the direct link from Photobucket. When you start your post, there are little tabs at the top left side starting with the bold tab, it will be the seventh tab over. If you put our mouse on it, it will say insert image. Click on that tab. It will have a pop up box that says "Please enter URL for this image". Now paste that direct link that you copied from Photobucket and click on OK and that is all you need to do. One TIP, when you are posting pics, preview the post before adding your post to the forum, so you can do any corrections and preview how the pics are going to look.

If you have any trouble. just yell!!

You guys are great! Thanks for the responses. Hopefully I'll have some work done to show you this weekend. Can anyone give me a quick tutorial on how to add pictures when I post? Thanks

Jonathan

My first armor kit came on Wednesday! I never thought I would get to this point. Its such a great feeling opening up that big brown box of goodness! I decided to go ATA and will be doing an ANH stunt. Hopefully I will post up some pics this weekend. I am just trying to figure out where to start (it is a little bit overwhelming haha). I've been in contact with a few guys from the Carolina Garrison and hopefully will be getting together with one of them on tuesday to look at his TE in person and so I can get a feel for how it all should look. He also offered to lend me a hand with getting started on assembly which is awesome as this is my first armor. So I am very excited to get it all put together and will hopefully be able to put of pics of my WIP ASAP! Thanks for all the information and help you guys provided here that got me to this point and of course will help in the building process. I was wondering though if someone could post the link to the TE build that a lot of people reference. I can't think of the name right off the top of my head <_<. Thanks again guys! Watch this space for WIP

Jonathan

Congrats! Like the posters said, take your time, measure three or four times and cut once. There are some ATA builds on here. Study, and review them. Have fun. If stuck or do not know what to do next???? Ask here. I am still in the middle of my Ap build. I am waiting for the temp to heat up so I can finish up my glueing. The E6000 fumes are powerful!!!! Post pics.

A good tip. If you are trimming with a blade, get a pair of work gloves that have rubber on the bottom and mesh on the top. It saved me many trips to the ER! Also buy a pack of blades!

Andy

Whats up guys? I know its been a while since I have posted any updates and it is because I have been busy with school and life in general. I got the helmet assembled the other night and I wanted to post the pictures of it for you guys to critique before I paint it and such. Enjoy

6bGn6wh.jpg

sXF6c6M.jpg

z3BS6Uv.jpg

SWVRCQG.jpg

Edited by Sly11
Edited to restore images Sly11 2021

Hey Jon, The bucket look great man :duim: Are you shore that this is your first time putting together a TK Head Holder?

BTW, are you doing ANH or ESB build?

Keep up the good work!!!!!!!!

Paint tips:

There are some things you will need to do when prepping your helmet for paint.

Use a scotchbrite pad on the surface of the helmet first.

Then use Simple Green All-Purpose Cleaner or any good All-Purpose Cleaner and then rinse well with water.

Then use a lint free cloth with isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol) wipe the surface down to clean any remaining

oils and dirt off the surface.

Just before you paint, use a tack cloth to remove any dust or loose materials.

When you are ready to paint the helmet:

Set the helmet on a stand ( use a 2x2 inch think 4ft tall piece of wood, nailed to the center of a 2ft x 2ft piece of plywood for a stable base) the stand is so you can prime and paint all areas without having to touch the helmet.

Test your spray paint. Shake the can vigorously before spraying. Test your paint or spraying technique in an inconspicuous area or on a piece of scrap material before beginning to spay your lid.

Apply multiple thin coats. Once you have completed your paint test and are satisfied, spray the helmet using several thin, multiple coats instead of one thick coat. Begin and finish your spray pattern off the object, releasing the button at the end of each pass. Use an even side-to-side motion with each pass overlapping your spray pattern.

Clean spray valve after use. Before storing your aerosol cans for future use, clean the spray valve by turning the cans upside down and spraying for 5 seconds. This helps prevent the spray tip from clogging.

Allow the helmet to dry. Check the directions on the back of the can for a recoat window. A recoat window identifies when additional coats can be applied within a certain timeframe. When you are finished applying all coats, do not handle the helmets surface until the paint has cured.

Curing time will vary depending on humidity and temperature. SO do not rush it!

You do not want finger prints all over your stormie. Set it somewhere out of the way in a dry, warm place.

DO NOT set near a heater, fire place, stove or oven.

Type of paint I would suggest is Rust-Oleum aerosol paint (Professional HIGH PERFORMANCE ENAMEL SPRAY- Gloss White 7592)

Hope this info help you. If you have any questions don’t hesitate to ask!

Hey Jon, did you get up with the guy from the Carolina Garrison that was going to show you his TE armor?

Take lots of HD pics of his armor for reference!

I am meeting up with him on Monday at 7:30