Scratch E11 Progress

A long long time ago I started a PVC tube E11 inspired by the work of members here including Smitty's awesome run of folding stock models.

Fast forward a ludicrously busy year, and I'm back doing a bit more..

Here I've assembled the core elements for a test fitting. The butt cap is a rough blank which will be turned on my lathe (well, OK it'll be turned on my power-drill-jammed-in-a-workbench pretend lathe).. :)

There's also a couple of pieces of ali sheet stock which will be front/back sight pieces.

091210_mock-up.jpg

Next I donated a side panel from an old PC to become the mag housing..

091210_PC-Case.jpg

2 or 3 dremel cutting disks later and we have a mag housing ready to be folded up.

091210_cut_out.jpg

I tried to photograph the texture on the PC case, since I'll try to keep this on the final article..

091210_Texture.jpg

I've just begun turning the butt-cap, so I'll post more progress later.

Wooot!!!

Nothing like a 100% scracth build blaster!!!!! whats cool is that after u finish this one u will want to make another one!!!! looks great so far!!! plz keep posting all the pics u can, this will help out the new guys and give ideas to the old gouys!!!

u tha man gray!!!

A little more progress...

121209_KitSoFar.jpg

There's front and back sights, front roughly cut out.

Mag housing which I've started to bend-up.

Inner barrel.

Scope rail - part formed.

Butt-cap and front cap with hex bolts for front cap detail.

Main body with brass bar coil spring in rear.

Trigger guard.

Stock pieces and T track.

The brass coil was a complete b1tch to form up - it's 4mm rod and I shaped it around a broom handle.. Very sore hands after that.

The trigger guard is pretty heavy guage steel - I didn't want anything too flimsy..

Lots still to do, but seeing it all together is encouraging - and I get the feeling that once I start putting these pieces in place it'll soon look like it's meant to..

121209_KitSoFar.jpg

Gary

Looking bloody sweet there mate B)

I love scratch builds and this looks like it as the makings of a REEEEEEELY nice one

Great work so far mate, can't wait to see it progress :duim:

:)

Cheers Billy!

This is the first scratch build I've attempted - I've never had the proper tools before. It's great fun but very frustrating too - I wish I had access to a machine shop. lol

Still, the workbench and the kitchen table are doing a fine job 'till I get my shed next year.

Rock and Roll buddy!

That's looking nice. Nice idea scavenging the steel sheet from an old computer case. Its about half as thick as the stuff I used. It will be much easier to work with. If you weld your metal, chances are you'll blow it to pieces with the welder. Get some "JB quick" and extremely coarse sand paper. Scratch the joints up really good and the JB Quick should be just as good as an MIG welder. JB Quick is a version of JB Weld from the Auto store that sets up in about 5 minutes.

I made my coils from coat hangers wrapped around broom handles too. The broom handle makes it the perfect size for fitting inside the pipe.

Cant wait to see this one finished!

Thanks for the encouragement and the great tip Smitty! I'll check it out next time I'm at the Car Store.

Of course that's yout T track there in the pic - ordered and sent a full year ago!

I've just picked up a nice sheet of clear acrylic to make the front cap from. I tried wood - but the large holes required meant that the drill bits kept splitting the piece - even when stepping up through several drill sizes.

Front sight is shaped and test fit in the barrel - pics soon.

Oh, and I drew blood for the first time on this build - damn craft blade went into the meat between thumb and forefinger - a little nick but it bled like hell! Still, chicks dig scars right? lol

The wife just gave me that 'remember you're putting the xmas tree up now right?' look - so I'll update after that.

Well look on the bright side, you havent set yourself on fire yet. I dont remember which blaster it was but I was making the bayonette clip for one and sparks from the grinder set the chest of my jacket on fire.

Re-enactment:

*grind grind grind*

sniff sniff

"Man that smells like smoke...."

"uhhh...Smitty....you're on fire...."

*stop drop roll*

Thanks guys! Thanks for the tip Werstrooper.. and as for a tutorial, well maybe later - I'll be a little burned out once this is finished! :)

I took some pics tonight - but the light is krappy - and so were the pics... I'll take some better ones tomorrow.

Progress!

The mag housing has been formed up. I'll cut slots in the main body to push it into. I've made the muzzle detail with acrylic sheet. There'll be another trigger piece to glue to the existing one - sandwiched together they'll give a bit of depth. Nothing is fixed/glued properly yet.. I'll do some filling/sanding/priming first - then get busy with the bondo.

side-on_201209.jpg

overview_201209.jpg

mag-housing_201209.jpg

muzzle-detail_201209.jpg