Recommended Reading - discover our heritage

Daetrin

I think everyone on CTN is issued a copy of Karen Traviss' excellent EU novels based on the Republic Commandos: Hard Contact and Triple Zero.

IMNSHO they're the best EU novels out there : Karen has lived and worked alongside law enforcement and the military and she portrays her characters as real people.

I'd recommend them to all TK's as well. It's great backstory on how our spiritual forefathers came to be, and our warrior heritage as well.

Traviss definitely knows her stuff and good writing to boot. I hope she writes about the TKs someday instead of relegating them to peripheral roles like most of the other writers.

So Paul, are you going to don a kama and start the Mando war dance? Don't forget the chanting (j/k! :D )

Actually, I'm having a kama made so I can convert my TC into an ARC when I want to. I really do see this progression from TC/ARC-CT-TK as a heritage.

The renderings of the ARC kamas to me look more like kilts, but the ones the clone commanders use in EPIII seem more Japanese inspired.

The renderings of the ARC kamas to me look more like kilts, but the ones the clone commanders use in EPIII seem more Japanese inspired.

The Mando war dance reminded me of the Maori Haka, but also of a nasty little game called Suicide (which I've never played, only had described to me).

Suicide involves a line of players, each equipped with a boomerang. First throw is a straight out-and-back throw, catch with right hand. If you fail to catch your boomerang or are hit by another's boomerang, you're out. Second throw is out-and-back, catch with left. Third throw is catch behind the back, either hand. Fourth throw is catch under the leg, either hand. Like the Mando war dance, you mess up, you get smacked.

I have just finished Karen's non-Star Wars novels, City of Pearl, Crossing the Line, The World Before, and they're every bit as good as her RC books ... her work with police/military/political/press really shines through. Check 'em out.