Shortening the TE2 Thighs

FIVE

So after my first troop today in my new TE2 sandtrooper (and yes, I'm posting this on MEPD too... as soon as it's back up...) I realized, very quickly, that I need to make my thighs a bit shorter so that I can bend my legs. They are SO close to being exactly the right height, but they are just a bit too long.

The problem on the left leg is as much the sniper plate as it is that the thigh hits the back of my knee when I bend my leg. The problem on the right leg is mainly the back of the knee thing.

So... has anyone else had this issue with TE2 armor?

If so, how did you resolve it?

The ideas I have are...

1) Trim the tops of the legs and get a craft iron to "round off" the edge again (as seen by the green line in the images below)

2) Trim off a little of the backs of both legs so that there is more of a "scoop" there for my knee to bend. (as shown by the red lines in the images below)

The problem with #1 is that I'm afraid if I trim off the top, thereby RAISING the thigh piece up, that it will no longer fit nicely... might be too tight in other words. Also, the rounded edge on the armor gives it that very distinctive look and I would hate to destroy it.

The problem with #2 is I don't want to destroy the "ledge" thickness that the backs of the legs have. Also, I'm afraid even if I "scoop cut" it I might still have problems.

I'm leaning towards option #2 though because a) I don't think the back of the knee is as noticeable as the tops of the legs, B) I think it would be easier to do, and c) I can "angle" the sniper plate out a little so that it doesn't hit as much but still looks really good. (see red line on 2nd image below)

Thoughts?

Opinions?

Other ideas?

Pictures of what you've done that worked?

Here are my images...

--------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2021

Pic of you bending as much as you can atm might help, as well as drawing a line of roughly where your knee is in the armor.

"Scoop-cut" the bottom of the thighs and the top of the calves. Trim a little here and a little there until you get the freedom of movement you desire. That's what I've done on both my TD and TK armor.

Don't trim the top of the thighs...I think that would really hurt the overall appearance of the armor.

Comfort and function is worth a little plastic sacrifice in the rear... :P

...the majority of your photos will be from the front...hopefully not the rear... :lol:

T :salute:

"Scoop-cut" the bottom of the thighs and the top of the calves. Trim a little here and a little there until you get the freedom of movement you desire. That's what I've done on both my TD and TK armor.

Don't trim the top of the thighs...I think that would really hurt the overall appearance of the armor.

Comfort and function is worth a little plastic sacrifice in the rear... :P

...the majority of your photos will be from the front...hopefully not the rear... :lol:

T :salute:

Cool... that's what I was thinking! Your word is gold with me brother... so unless someone severely objects, sounds like I was thinkin' right. B)

Thanks!

(I will still listen to more advice of course...)

Hmmm u could always trim the bottom of the shin armor ( were boots and armor meet) this way the entire lower leg armor would ride lower and u could get more bend. not to mention that the boot/armor area will not really be affected........

might work

Hmmm u could always trim the bottom of the shin armor ( were boots and armor meet) this way the entire lower leg armor would ride lower and u could get more bend. not to mention that the boot/armor area will not really be affected........

I had actually thought of doing this too... but the shins are in a really good place as is... so I don't know. Plus, I'm afraid they wouldn't fit right. The curve of my shin is perfect in the curve of the shin armor.

The TE2 really seriously does fit me like a glove in every way, EXCEPT the thighs are a big long... that's it though. They even fit amazingly... just long. B)

Good idea though man... thanks!