Trimming the thigh pieces

drosch

I'm totally baffled at this point. I'm almost 6'2". A little tall for a stormtrooper. It's my understanding that the original guys were much shorter. I have the thigh pieces of my new AP suit pulled up were the point at the top in the fronts cut into my groin/hip area when I try to lift my legs yet the bottoms cut into the back of my knees when I try to fully bend my knees. What gives? Something doesn't add up. I've been kicking around cutting some away from the back of the knees but I'm not sure. What do you guys think?

Thanks

Most people only have limited movement when in armour, this is normal. I can kneel down in my FX as it has shorter leg pieces and no return edge on the armour, which is what would cut into the leg... yet i cannot in my TM as the leg pieces are longer and do have a return edge. Am i making sense here?

Perfect sense. I was concidering cutting into the trim that molded into the bottom of the thigh pieces just to give me more mobility. If I'm going to troop in this setup I want to be able to function like walking up stairs without looking like I have a stick up my butt. Just wanted some opinions before I started cutting. Below is one of the reference pics from the gallery. Looks like the trooper on the right has that portion removed in a arcing cut but the one on the left is intact.

gallery_1860_1_37162.jpg

Before you trim the legs i would actually try to do staires. At your height i can not see it being a problem. But if you do trim the legs, def take some out of the thigh as in the pic you posted. And remember trim a little at a time, so you take out the bare minimum needed, you can always cut away more, but once its gone, its gone.

Would be great to have a photo of you in armor to see for sure. I'm 6'0" and would never consider trimming. The 'model' was 5'10" or so. Remember there shouldn't be a lot of black. Any gain in comfort will certainly be a trade-off in appearance.

I've never heard of anyone 6'+ trimming the backs of the legs. Heck it's the opposite - I want longer pieces!

• 1 year later...

Hi Guys,

I was wondering about this also. I'm about 5' 8". How much is too much trimming for the sake of mobility? I would like to be able to kneel and walk up stairs. I have been trimming little bits as I go. any guidelines on how much trimming is allowed would be helpful. This is my first suit. a TK Commander. I've worn it down to celebration V and now Otakon over the past weekend. I Hope to get some photos soon and join up.