Helmet destroyed

Hello there.

I finished building my AP helmet a few years ago, and now wanted to modify away the lump in the right eye. I didn't heat it for very long, and the eye turned out pretty good, but unfortunately the forehead was warped. I didn't heat it for long, but since I didn't have much money at the time I bought this helmet, I bought a flawed kit for half the cost, so my helmet had a very thin forehead.

I asked the AP guy for a new helmet back, but he didn't have any around and couldn't start up his machines for just that part. Maybe he will make me one when he starts his next batch. If I am to fix this helmet, and I would preferably do this, then I would either have to bondo the whole thing and paint it, but would probably have to paint the whole thing to get it to match. The paint would probably chip off too. Or second would be to make a plastic welding paste using plastic scraps and acetone.

It's a pretty big defect now that I tried to fix it and it only got worse from that, so if anyone have tried to fix an area that big, please let me know how you did it and how well it went.

Thanks.

-Dark Side Sith Lord.

Try resting it the part on a round surface and heat it up a bit and let it cool over the shape desired. Sorry to hear about the disaster, I myself hate having to use the heatgun.

For my eye bump, I was able to reduce it using hot glue when I put the lens in. It heated up the plastic just enough for me to push the bump down.

Not only unlucky with that, the sound board I was going to use inside the helmet also fried. I think next my armor will spontaniously combust or something...

I sure do hope it works, and I'll be posting photos of the repair. Am not yet sure if I should add this all in the next tutorial in case someone else would have to repair their helmet in the same way and discovers the method in my website. Quite an embarrasing thing to publish...

Thanks for the luck, I will need it.

Well I wouldnt worry about that. And if someone can fix it its you mate.

Good luck, and if you dont get happy with it, there are plenty fish in the sea, even if you feel bad right now.

And you still have a nice Vader helmet, right?

Edit: I love the no swearing function, LOL. I was like... what...

Oh, man-- that's just heartbreaking!

What a shame! So sorry that happened to you. :o

I know AP sells "B" pulls from time to time, and at a pretty decent discount.

I'd recommend getting in touch with him to see if he can send you a replacement on the cheap.

@NAZGÛL - Thanks. I will buy some acetone for this thing tomorrow. Yes I do have a Darth Vader helmet from ROTS, but no costume yet to wear it with. Still I do have a complete Snowtrooper costume to play around with in the meanwhile.

@dougefresh - Yeah, it pretty much sucks and brings out many bad words... I contacted the AP guy shortly after this happened, so if it is unfixable, I will buy a new helmet back from him. I really want to keep my old faceplate instead of buying a new full helmet.

By the way, I got to edit at least two new photos of my Stormtrooper, and finished the helmet tutorial once and for all.

------------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2021

Not only unlucky with that, the sound board I was going to use inside the helmet also fried. I think next my armor will spontaniously combust or something...

and thats why my undersuit is a firesuit :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Damn indeed. But so far it seems this acetone stuff really works, just takes some days to harden, but that might just be because of the consistancy since I don't have a way to grind up the plastic good enough to a flower, so all I get is lumpy stuff with thin white goo in between it. Will try to find a way to grind it better soon, then will post some progress photos.