The right glue for FX?

Obievon

Okay everyone, I'm at the stage where I need to glue my armor together. (TX black ABS FX ). What should I use. I've looked all over this site and others there seems to be different opinions.

So help a newbie out and tell me what will last, hold up to trooping.

So far I've heard of:

Plastic Weld

E6000

Super Glue.. Gel

ABS 2771

5 Minute epoxy ( Clear or Opaque ? not sure of the difference other than color )

J B Weld

Any others?

Plan on clam shelling the parts with velcro on the other sides.

I want to get it right the first time. Ya know what I mean.

Thanks in advance.

I've used CA glue, Plastic Weld and the 2-part epoxy.

CA glue dries in clumps, and is really brittle, so I'd recommend avoiding it.

The 2-part epoxy (DevCon Welder) works alright, but it's very unforgiving. If you use it, make sure you get your pieces aligned correctly the first time, or things will get messy if you try and re-situate a part after you've applied the glue.

The Plastic Weld works great, but I've only used it very sparingly on seams-- it actually melts the plastic chemically, so if you use it, go easy, and/or be very careful.

Also, don't get any of it on armor parts that are going to be exposed-- it takes the gloss right off ABS and leaves a noticeable dull patch wherever it comes in contact with the plastic.

For the build I'm working on, I'll be trying E6000 this time.

Everyone here raves about it, and apparently, it's got a little flex to it.

I've heard nothing but good things.

Hope that helps!

I actually used 3 different glues on my suit

-had bad luck with CA glue, simply did not hold (I think I bought the wrong kind)

-ABS Glue, works okey, but doesn't seem to hold under stress, kind of a mess to work with.

-E6000, works great, has a good flex to it, pretty easy to work with. Only drawback I've found is it seems to take a full 24 hours to cure

My opinion is E6000.

Wow that alot of stuff......

For my ABS FX i used

Oatey White &/or Black ABS Cement Medium viscosity. Cures in 2 hrs

what i really like is that u can put some in Syringes and apply to small detailed areas.

If you use plastic weld then a good little trick if you have any spare is to shave some of the black ABS or white if you are gluing a white suit and dissolve it into the weld until you get a slightly thicker consistency, then you have a glue that matches you armor perfectly and you won't notice the connection at all. You have to be careful as it will still weld the plastic together but you get an invisible weld.

Hope this helps.

If you use plastic weld then a good little trick if you have any spare is to shave some of the black ABS or white if you are gluing a white suit and dissolve it into the weld until you get a slightly thicker consistency, then you have a glue that matches you armor perfectly and you won't notice the connection at all. You have to be careful as it will still weld the plastic together but you get an invisible weld.

Hope this helps.

What do you guys think about E6000 on HIPS?

I've never used this stuff but I'm willing to give it a go. A wealth of information thanks for all the opinions.

E6000 has worked great on everything I have tried it on, I would think it would be just fine to use on HIPS. I used it to put my FX together and it worked beautifully.

Could I ask how long has your armor been together. Is it holding up as expected?