Speakers, and all...

You know - I love, love, love learning new things. And as awesome as it is to be able to turn around and buy these awesome looking Hovi/Speaker/etc kits.... (Sorry Stomper - check your pm on why I never got back to you!)

I'd really love to make a sound kit on my own.

What I want to do is:

Speakers in aerators, or speakers behind aerators with caps. Either or.

NOW, I cannot seem to find anywhere on the forums where anyone, their mother, dog, or sith lord; gets their speakers. I understand you all have your mini-businesses, but please help!!!!! :0)D

Radioshack has the 8ohm, 29mm version.

I found a site that has a 20mm, 150 ohm dynamic element. 0.79" diameter x 0.1" thick speaker (I'm not sure if this would work or not...)

But, from what I understand you need a 20mm to fit in the fx aerators...?

Then of course, I'll start off with a cheap wallyworld voicebox and mic, and should be good to go (with the wiring, soldering, time, burns, loss of beard hair, back pain from leaning over my waaaaay to low work bench in the basement....*still rambling*)

Thanks in advance anyone willing to answer!

Just type "Speakers" in the search engine on the top right hand corner and u will find a great source!!!!!

Hi Jory, I like to make things myself and learn new things too! ;)

I used these microspeakers, they're very good:-----------

And here's a trick I used to increase the volume if you're gonna mount them into the aerators:----------

:D

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2021

TK-2126_MD said:
Just type "Speakers" in the search engine on the top right hand corner and u will find a great source!!!!!

Murray1134 said:
In the For Sale section there has been people doing runs of speakers, you could PM them to see about there supplier.

TKDUEUNO said:
Hi Jory, I like to make things myself and learn new things too! ;)

I used these microspeakers, they're very good:-------------

Launchpad seems like he's a great supplier from what I've read (I guess I forgot to mention that I did the search option prior to posting, #1 rule of using a board, always search first...!)

I guess I kinda want to buy a bunch of different speakers myself and see which are best, and not pay the price for assembly+shipping+markup+whatever cost.

No offense to launchpad, but I have found speakers that are 2-3 dollars a pair, vs 10 + shipping.

I was just wondering, who is supplying them. Guess I'll have to pm them.

Edited by gmrhodes13

I understand the dilemma. Ideally we would want our sound to come from the aerators. However, it is difficult to get enough volume out the aerators. I have a couple of aerator speakers and the sound was barely audible without distortion. I have chose not focus on location and instead install my speakers/amp in my armor. I have taken apart a newton and a radio shack amp and modded into my armor. Neither one fits very well though.

So i am working with a potential supplier of voice amps that are small but powerful. The supplier claims they are 10 watts and 12 watts (the radio shack is 6 watts). The size is 3.75" x 2.75" x 1". That makes it thin enough attach right into the armor without any modification. The units even come with built in rechargeable batteries. It sounds too good to be true so i bought both models and they are being shipped. I will test them. If i think they are good enough I will buy a big lot of them and offer them up for sale here on the forums. They should not be too expensive either. i should have them in about a week to test.

The downside too having a voice amp in your armor is the cord between the helmet to your armor. That issue led me to a search for a wireless headset microphone. I found theses memorex units that are small and work really well. I have been selling them at this thread. If the cord bugs you enough (it did me) you can go this route.---------

Edited by gmrhodes13

• 2 weeks later...

Well kids,

I did it.

I was told it was impossible.

I was told I had to buy offline.

I was told, with eyes rolled, that I'm crazy.

But I have done it!

I found myself some mini speakers locally. Now they are not as small as the aerator speakers, but they're small enough to be mounted behind the mask.

I'll be posting pictures later today of the setup build, but here's some information:

HMDX-Audio Speaker on the go Portable Speaker case (works with ipod and other mp3 players). Model # HMDX-GO.

Barcode: 031262033543. CP-HMDXGOWG

Uses 2 AA batteries.

And of all places, found it at best buy. $10.00

I've got all disassembly photos, and reassembly photos, which I'll be posting a little later today... Just wanted to update you.

You know - I love, love, love learning new things. And as awesome as it is to be able to turn around and buy these awesome looking Hovi/Speaker/etc kits.... (Sorry Stomper - check your pm on why I never got back to you!)

I'd really love to make a sound kit on my own.

What I want to do is:

Speakers in aerators, or speakers behind aerators with caps. Either or.

NOW, I cannot seem to find anywhere on the forums where anyone, their mother, dog, or sith lord; gets their speakers. I understand you all have your mini-businesses, but please help!!!!! :0)D

Radioshack has the 8ohm, 29mm version.

I found a site that has a 20mm, 150 ohm dynamic element. 0.79" diameter x 0.1" thick speaker (I'm not sure if this would work or not...)

But, from what I understand you need a 20mm to fit in the fx aerators...?

Then of course, I'll start off with a cheap wallyworld voicebox and mic, and should be good to go (with the wiring, soldering, time, burns, loss of beard hair, back pain from leaning over my waaaaay to low work bench in the basement....*still rambling*)

Thanks in advance anyone willing to answer!

I will have some really cool voice amp/speakers up for sale in about a week. They are 10Watts and have built in rechargeable batteries. The best thing about them will be the size. 3.75" x 2.8" x 1.1" . They are tiny enough to be place in your back plate, front plate, crotch, under arm, belt, inside holster etc...

I have a bulk shipment on the way. Just let me know if you are interest and I will contact you when they are in.

Thanks for the offer, but (right now) I'm getting ready to solder my omni-directional mics I picked up to the cabling, and connect em into the amp.

I've got the amp, the speakers, and the mics. Just gotta wire my mics in, and cut my holes for my speakers . . . and I've got a amped helmet.

I do personally want the sound coming from the mouth area, I don't like the chest idea, plus, a mic cable running (for those of us who don't want to spend a junk load of money right off the bat...) down the suit just never appealed to me!

Thanks again! I hope I got some information out to others who like doing as much as they can on their own.

Back to the suit. (Just got the ab/kidney plate affixed with a nice flush line!!!) On to finishing hopefully tomorrow!